Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 6216 Will not go full speed

cmckinney6216

I just bought a simplicity 6216 everything is great beside one thing, It will not go full speed unless i pull back on the break. I have the variable speed control all the way up. But when i push it down about half way it gets really stiff but i am able to push it all the way down. It seems like it slows down and when i release it does pick up speed but as i said it will not go full speed unless i pull back on the break. So i guess my question is what could it be, do i need to adjust it or what needs to be done. thank yall for the help in advance

The veriator pully isn't moving far enough. You need to lube the 2 bushings it pivots on. I had this problem with my 6218.

What and where is the veriator pully? Sorry I'm new to this and not very familiar with the part or location.

The variator pulley is the pulley where the two drive belts meet. It is like a snowmobile clutch, with two outer sheave halves being fixed and a center one that slides back and forth, changing the size ratio from driver to driven pulley and thus changing the speed. The center part of this pulley must slide from side to side freely. The manual that you can download gives the instructions for adjustment and lubrication. Also, there is an adjustment you can make on the spring that pulls back on the clutch pedal if it still doesn't get up to full speed after lubing it. This is also covered in the manual.

Steve

I found this link and I think this is what yall are talking about.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=111967

I adjusted everything like they said to in the manual before I went this far. After i adjusted everything it still did not fix it. I have everything taken apart now, tomorrow I will sand blast and grease everything like he did in the link. Hopefully this will fix it. Thanks for everyone's advice. I will keep yall posted

Ok so in my last post i posted a link. I did everything he did in is link and the tractor will STILL not go full speed. If i pull back on the pedal it will go full speed, as soon as i let go it goes about half speed. I have done word for word what the manual to do about adjusting the clutch and break. I am lost, I have no idea where to go from here. Can some please tell me something to do or try.

To me I think it may have something to do with the spring that connect to the variable speed. Like I said I am lost. ANY and ALL help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Never worked on a variable like that, but is the spring stretched out so it doesn't pull hard enough?

I am not sure on the spring. But i have to think it might be. Simply because with very little pressure can pull the pedal back and it will go full speed. I am thinking about replacing the spring. I have also read that the veriator pully can get stuck. But im not sure what or where it is?

UPDATE

After hours of reading different forms and pages upon pages of information. I found a simple quick fix was to spray wd-40 on the pulley , I did this today and it work the tractor will go full speed now with out having to pull back on it.

Now my problem is it will not pull up a hill. I figure that the belt is just slipping or something since it was not doing it before I sprayed it.

If it could be something else please let me know.

The variator sheave is to be lubricated with teflon spray. Any kind of oil could soak the belt and increase chances of belt slippage.