Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone here ever own any Bolens G series

fishnwiz

Was wondering if anyone here has owned or run any of ther G series Bolens tractors from early to late 70's?

Are they a well built tractor?

I haven't had personal experience, but they are essentially a tube frame, gear drive Bolens. Kinda the economical vaeriety, like a mid '70's Baron would be to the Simplicity crowd I suppose.

Thanks...I have an opportunity to buy one that I may or may not want to flip. It is not a super bargin but an ok priced tractor with hi lo and gear drive...workhorse type tractor.

Thanks for the input

My Dad had one that he bought used in the early 1980's. It was a 1976 G12 Bicentennial model 12HP with US flag decals on the hood & fenders. 3 speed with HI/LOW range. Seemed to be built like a tank. It had either a 42" or 48" mower deck, a large snowblower & rear tire chains. The snowblower was very heavy to lift with the liftrod. I used to mow the yard with it all the time. I think he had to rebuild the engine once because I remember he had it sent out to be honed or bored. I think it was a 12 HP Kohler but not sure. He sold it in the early 2000's.

I have been reading up on the engines in the G series and it is about 50 50 good and bad on the Tecumseh cast iron engines!

Well Mark,

There are those who swear by the Tecumseh engines, and there are some of us who swear at them!

W

I have the Hydro version of the G series, the Bolens H16 with the 16hp overhead valve Tecumseh, it weighs 950lbs without the deck, while I honestly believe Simplicity is the finest engineered tractor in the world, I have no hesitation saying Bolens Tube Frames and Large Frames were the toughest and strongest tractors ever built. I also have a 1476 with a single cylinder 14 hp Wisconsin,it rivals any John Deere 400 series or Cub 982 or super tractor. The axles/frames and transmission housings are massive. BTW after you own it, good luck trying to part with it, and if you need any manuals, let me know. If you get it, I'd like to follow your progress.

Well Mike

Knowing a little about your background and your knowledge base, you have me sold!

I always have had an interest in the Bolens line of tractors.I am aware of their reputation as a overbuilt tractor but have little experience with the tecumseh line of engines. I was buying this tractor under the guise that I was going to flip it but in reality I always wanted a heavy tube frame to play with.

Not sure the tractor I was interested in is still available but will be sure to give it a strong consideration based on your glowing reviews. Thanks again.

Wiz

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Well MikeKnowing a little about your background and your knowledge base, you have me sold! I always have had an interest in the Bolens line of tractors.I am aware of their reputation as a overbuilt tractor but have little experience with the tecumseh line of engines. I was buying this tractor under the guise that I was going to flip it but in reality I always wanted a heavy tube frame to play with.Not sure the tractor I was interested in is still available but will be sure to give it a strong consideration based on your glowing reviews. Thanks again.Wiz

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the compliment Wiz, A man named Brooke Stevens designed the look of these Bolens tractors, he was also instrumental in the design of many automobiles and even many appliances from the late 50s and well into the 70s. However it was Bolens commitment to build the most durable machine available that set these tractors off from the run of the mill tractors of the day. In the same way Simplicity stayed true to form so did Bolens, in fact they were both built in Port Washington Wisconsin, which many consider to be the Mecca of garden tractor history, heres a slide show of my Bolens H16 that I found in Iowa, it had been setting in a barn since the early 1990s with a bad spindle, broken PTO shaft, but had a nearly new engine and included a shaft drive tiller, snowblower, and blade, I traded an Ariens tiller and front blade for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gAgUu-Pwfw&feature=youtu.be

quote:Well Mark,

There are those who swear by the Tecumseh engines, and there are some of us who swear at them!

id="quote">
id="quote">

I find I generally fall into the latter category, myself.8D

It is very interesting the split among tractor persons when it comes to the tecumseh engines. There seems to me to be greater devide then there is between the B&S and the Kohler group.

OKIE

Funny you should mention Brook Stevens...There was a museum in my area dedicated to all of his accomplishments! He was quite the engineer and very smart with Design build!

Thanks for sharing the slide show of your Bolens tractor!! WOW, that cam out AWESOME!! I like the blackout hood scoop!

The tractor I was pursuing went to a guy who added 50.00 dollars to the asking price in order to get dibs over me. I WAS #1 but not generous enough with my offer of asking price!!;)

The tecumseh's were good engines when they were new. The problem now is finding replacement parts for the cast iron engines. The solid state ignition coils can bring close to $200 for used ones. The walboro carbs also get worn out and the throttle shafts are NLA. There is a place called "carb rescue" which sells new or reman carbs and parts.

quote:Originally posted by Chris727

The tecumseh's were good engines when they were new. The problem now is finding replacement parts for the cast iron engines. The solid state ignition coils can bring close to $200 for used ones. The walboro carbs also get worn out and the throttle shafts are NLA. There is a place called "carb rescue" which sells new or reman carbs and parts.

id="quote">
id="quote">There are new 40.00 replacement coils that replace the old sold state ignition and I believe after market engine internals are starting to show up.

I'm rebuilding an H70 now & had no problem finding rings and a gasket set. The cam snapped and found a used one easily. Dave

I have four Bolens tractors two 1054's and two G14's, saying they are tough tractors is an understatment, once you have one you will understand.

The Tecumseh OH 140's are beyond tough, love it when that governor kicks in:) I use most ground engaging equipment with no lack of power either with the Tec. or Wisc. engines, all shaft drive.

If you have a chance to pick up a tube frame or large frame in good condition, I would say don't pass it up--they are getting harder to find.

Floydster

Thanks for your input

I feel bad that I missed an opportunity to purchase a clean G14

Oh well

.next time!

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

You don't hear about a cam snapping too often!sm00

id="quote">
id="quote">

P3120328.JPG

P3120330.JPG

Story goes my BIL ran one pass of his early 70's Ariens snowblower thru the 30"+ blizzard of 2/13 when it quit. We all assumed a busted rod, a very common failure. I have a similar machine, so when he repowered his he gave me the old engine. I tore it down and was shocked at what I found. Clean break with no other damage. $20 for used replacement cam, another $30 for rings and gaskets.8D

P3120328.JPG.01dd05990397d3835d1aac59c117ef19.JPG

P3120330.JPG.79b8b801e515ce6daec0b547c29cfa67.JPG

Had a 1980 20hp. single cylinder Tecumseh Bolens. Tractor,attachments were very good. I bought it because I had a 1968 Bolens 10hp that was getting worn, and I wanted something bigger to blow snow and til with. Never looked at any other brands cause I was very satisfied with my old Bolens 10hp. Attachments all ran with a ujoint system - big tractor style. Felt that was a big positive not to have all the belts. What a mistake. Dealer could never get the starting problems fixed on the tractor. Engine never caused a problem when at the dealers after I would have to cable pull it on my trailer to take it in. That big single cylinder started very hard in the Wi. winter as well. Ran out of warranty, then the problem was mine. Kept it a few years, then took a huge loss and sold it.

Well that is one of the first negative reviews I have heard in my short little survey. Sorry to hear you had issues.I had two 59 Bolens that were TANKS. The tiller was driven by a drive shaft that weight 40lbs! I never had a chance to really play around with them but I can say they were overbuilt tractors.

Fishnwiz = I think if I could have afforded to buy the 20hp twin at the time, (which was quite a bit more money), I would probably still have the tractor. The engine problem was so unpredictable, that I could never count on the tractor starting when I wanted it to. The u-joint and drive shaft driven attachments were fantastic. It was a big decision, and a huge $$ loss when I sold it in 2000. Was quite a comedown from my 1968 Bolens which I was very pleased with.

Sometimes you get a lemon..too bad you had to be the one to end up with one. Were there others with the same tractor and same issue.You may not know.