Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
392chryslerhemi

Rebuilding the KT17

392chryslerhemi

Thanks guys for all the help on my last KT17 post. I have found a block that is in great shape that came out of a John Deere 317. It will be quite a process, but I can find pretty much everything I need to piece one together on eBay etc. How can I tell if this engine block is a Series 1 or 2? My property is completely flat, would I be alright with a Series 1? Also, what parts are interchangeable on the two series? Some of the parts I have seen specify that they're a Series 2 and others don't specify anything. Can get a little confusing and overwhelming when you are looking at so many different parts. Again, thanks for all the help......Ryan

Brettw

The differences between the two are how the rod journals are oiled. In a Series I, the rod journals were oiled by spray, from a holes drilled in the camshaft. On a Series II, the camshaft did not have holes drilled, and instead the rod journals were oiled directly through holes in the crankshaft, providing oiling under pressure. That is the main and significant difference between the two engine configurations.

Some are under the impression that the Series I did not have pressurized oiling, and the Series II did. This is only true of the rod journals, the rest, the mains and cam shaft, were always pressurized. I am no guru, but this is as I understand it.