Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7016H giving me fits-Need you experts

thedroidman

Picked up a nice, yet rough, 7016 this winter. Had a blown head gasket and I can't seem to get it to run out correctly under load. Almost seems way under powered to run both the hydro trans and the 48" deck at the same time.

Here's the recent improvements...

Completely re-wire and replaced all burnt up wiring with new-by-me harness.

Removed head. De-carboned piston (.030 over) valves, combustion chamber, and bead blasted head. Re-installed. 105-110 psi compression hot.

Valves checked- intake .080, exhaust .018 hot.

Deck has been rebuilt with new bearings on all arbors. Spin freely by hand with belt on- very little yet steady, even resistance.

Cone clutch is free and works good. Bearing was rusted to shaft but some gentle persuasion (BFH) allowed me to remove, clean and prep for duty.

Govenor has been reset. the springs were dubious so remove a set from a 16HP donor engine I have in the shed.

Gas tank flushed. New gas line, filter, and shut off.

Carb appears new. Just needed benchtop cleaning. Re-installed and set idle. Set main to 1-1/2 turns out.

Rechecked and re-torqued carb to manifold and carb to head bolts. Gasket are in good repair and no vaccuum leaks are apparent.

Points at .020, clean and dry. Great spark. Easy to start with just a touch of choke when cold.

Air cleaner is a bit rough and could use a new one. Have tried running both with and without.

Fluid level in Hydro is spot on.

The engine will idle great! But is slow to respond to increase in throttle then goes to the max quickly.

Once in gear with the mower pto engaged it seems to bog.

Once you release the pto it screams to high rpm again.

It's making me crazy yell as I think I have overlooked something simple.

Last fall I picked up a $35 Landlord 3SP and it will run circles around this thing after only about $20 and a few hours work!

I need a different perspective- anyone experience anything like this. I am stymied and just can't see it.

Yes, the brake is off.

Thanks in advance...

Andy

Sounds like governor is not working correctly.

(The engine will idle great! But is slow to respond to increase in throttle then goes to the max quickly.

Once in gear with the mower pto engaged it seems to bog.

Once you release the pto it screams to high rpm again.)id="size1">

Yeah- I've been looking at the lever on the shaft coming out of the block and it doesn't look like i'm getting much activity or response like on other Briggs like the 10 in my Landlord or the 15 in my 3415H. I am probably in denial since I have never had an internal issue with a governor. This one is a little rattler though, and it looks like Independence weekend will be used for a quick motor pull to check it out!

Thanks

Thanks Wiz- I will definitely check that out. I think it is OK, but a good look costs nothing nut time...

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

should not have to pull motor to check govenorbut it will make it easier to adjust

id="quote">
id="quote">This should help.

Not exactly sure but I would call it a catastrophic failure. I've never had one come apart before and since this unit has a .030 over piston I feel perhaps a mis-assembly issue may be to blame. Based on the rest of the tractor it appears amateurs were involved.

The thing had a brand new carb on it, along with a Ford coil, a Chrysler ballast resistor, and a bunch of cobbled which makes me thing someone was chasing around the governor issue all along.

I have placed all back to original and it starts excellent and runs out well, just will not govern speed. Once I replace the governor with the used unit I pulled form Ebay we'll see if I'm as good as I hope I am...