Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Please post...

GLPointon

Guys we have so many members with such a huge array of different Tractors/Attachments/Equipment.

We need more of you to post pics and a small description of your equipment on the "Tractor of the Month" feature each month. The catagories change each month so check in often and please post sm01

But none of mine are as pretty as the tractor of the months. They all earn their keep beyond design intent.

Thats beauty in its own rite! ToM doesnt have to be purdy...I like um dirty too!

It is great to pay homage to all the work that guys put into a restore but most of the average joes don't have the cash time or money to do up a tractor.

Maybe there should be an unrestored section in the tractor of the month and that way others may have a shot at having their tractors reconized for what they are...an everyday working tractor. Just a thought.!

I was under the impression the tractor or implement only had to fit the category. Doesn't matter if restored or not. When my 620 was featured it was (and still is) not refurbed in any way....Dave

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

I was under the impression the tractor or implement only had to fit the category. Doesn't matter if restored or not. When my 620 was featured it was (and still is) not refurbed in any way....Dave

id="quote">
id="quote">You are correct. I just mentioned an unrestored category thinking it may get more members to participate. I am not sure but I think that every winner so far has be a restored tractor?

Tractor of the Month is about more than just throwing up photos of cleaned up and restored tractor. The story behind it, and the write up the owner does is just as important as the photos.

When I vote on a TOM contestant I weigh the write ups and the stories just as important as the photo documentation. In my view, a unrestored tractor with a great write up will likely beat out a restored tractor with little to no write up. If there are 2 great restored machines in contest, the one with the better write up will win my vote every time. By the same token, if there are 2 in contest that have great write ups, then the better photo documentation will win my vote.

TOM is really about a lot more than just throwing up a photo and walking away. Thats why its nice to have a number of entries with stories to them each month, restored or not. Gives the voters some exercisedOd

I think you need to simplify or "dumb down" the categories.

I still have no idea what all this means

This month's category will be:

Factory built attachments, First Generation Large Frame RBT to include,

A/C 300/400

"Pod headlights"

A/C 700 series

Simplicity 3300/3400/7000

JCPenney

Simplicity built Homeliteid="red">

To me, this month is only factory built attachments for that list of tractors.

What is "first generation" ??

To me, that would be only the 3300 series that still had the swinging mid pto, then the next generation would have a cone clutch

3300 3400 7000 would be 3 different generations in my mind

I think the categories were confusing enough that only a rare few owners felt that their tractors qualified, thus the lack of participation.

For example, why not....

1: factory large frame early "flip hood" FDT tractors. would include B1, 700, 725, and the early Squire.

2: factory Large frame "removeable round hood" FDT tractors. would include the B 10, early and late, Big Ten, B 12, Early Landlords, 2010, 2012, 2110, 2112 etc, as well as Squire 9 and Squire 10

3: factory Large frame "Flat hood" FDT would include 210, 212, 110, 112, 3110 3212 etc

4; then a category for the above tractors that are "customized". ie; custom paint colors, diesel or twin engines, modified for specific use, etc

Then break down the small frame tractors similarly, then the RBT's

There are so many models of RBT's, so maybe break those down by the series that go together, 700, 7000 or 900, 7100, with the others that line up chronologically, Homelite, JC Penny, then later on Massey and GTLs (I'm not familiar with the history after the 7000's

A/C 300 and 400 series are a beast of their own and should be treated separately, as are some of the Homelites.

You need a category for "odd attachments" somehow, to get the forklifts and ditchers, etc.

A "home built" attachment category might be okay too.

Maybe a "farming" category ?? plows, discs, cultivators, weed sprayers, etc

"off the lawn" for mowers that aren't normal; weed cutters, sickle bars, tow behinds, and gang mowers

You also need to keep in mind, not putting together 2 things where one will totally over shadow the other. Like "dirt tools" A decent loader would almost always overshadow a perfect grader blade.

There are way too many models to individualize everything, but the categories need to be simple enough to be understandable and to get more people involved each month.

Just my babbling opinions.......

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

....sooo, we need to have a month dedicated to "Worker B's"!? :o)

id="quote">
id="quote">Just spit-ballin' here, but maybe we could have some categories aimed at the work done with the tractor, or other such things, instead of just having categories aimed at tractors or attachments themselves. For instance, maybe we could have some months for:1. Nicest lawn stripes;2. Straightest plow rows;3. Best snow blowing job;4. Best snow plowing job;5. Smoothest driveway grading job;6. Best use of a dump cart;7. Most unusual tractor chore (I've seen guys post threads about using their tractors to run hay elevators and other out-of-the-ordinary things);8. Best use of a tractor for the community (i.e., using your tractor to mow a local park or something, giving kids hay rides on Halloween, riding it in a 4th of July parade, clearing your elderly neighbor's driveway of snow, etc, etc);9. Best tech tip (i.e., what little trick have you come up with for maintaining old tractors that members find most useful);10. Best effort to promote the Simplicity/Allis brand and this club (I'll refrain from naming names, but there's several guys on here that deserve honorable mention for the constant advice given out on this site and for their tireless involvement in shows, etc.)11. Most original homemade attachment;12. Best homemade wheel weights;13. Best tractor save (who's got the most unusual story behind the tractor they saved from ending up in the scrapyard or rusting in a field?);14. Tractor family of the month (a showcase for people who enjoy the hobby with their spouses, kids, grandkids, sibilings, etc, etc);

Lots of good ideas flowing here.

Its good to hear a buzz about the ToM again. I'm sure any of you could volenteer some time to helping with the ToM feature. As far as I know its all been on Tim (timflury) for some time now to try to manage by himself...(Thank you Tim)

Maybe PM him with some ideas OR better yet get involved , maybe a ToM commitee could be done sm01