Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bad day for the Sunstar

RodStayner

I went to start my winter projet work on the 48" deck of my 16 HP Sunstar today and it wouldn't start. When I would turn the key, the solenoid would just hum and when I tried it again it would turn over very slowly. I thought the battery was low, but it was fine. So I thought I would push it into the heated shop. Wrong! First I had to pump up a flat. Then I think the cold temps must have frozen the relief on the hydro, because it wouldn't budge! I jacked up the rear and got it into the shop, and after it warmed up the rear end was fine (will check this out--I just changed the fluid and filter last fall) When I bought the tractor last May, I knew the deck needed some work like new bearings, blades, some bushings, and a good paint job. Wouldn't you know it: everything seemed okay when I parked it! Any ideas on the humming sound? I think it could be a bad solenoid, but I am going to clean up the cables first and try that.

A sulfated battery will check "ok" on the volt meter and still not crank the engine. Check the voltage while cranking. if it is below about 10.5 volts the battery is shot.

I am filling in for Bear Hope that your day has gotton better. Even though I do not have a sun star I know it is very disapointing when thing do not work like you want! Take care! Carol