Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 4040 intake valve guides with seal

jumbulias

Has anyone changed the intake valve guides to the new ones that have the valve stem seal. The reason I am asking is , my valve guides are leaking oil into the cylinders and causing carbon deposits. When I bought the tractor the motor would only turn over so far and stop. So I took off the heads and the pistons had so much carbon deposit on them it was not allowing the motor to turn over. Is this a job I can do myself? Any Help appreciated. Thanks

Well, the CCKA's did not use a seal. Wasn't used until the CCKB. A good change to make when rebuilding. While you're in there (as this will require disassembly) you are caught in the rebuild dilemma, 'how far to go'. To do it right, you 'should' do both intake & exhaust. Regrind the seats & regrind the valves. Then, what are the ring gaps, bearing tolerances & piston clearances.

As to DIY? Ever done this before? I find Onan's fairly easy to work on, Some may disagree. I don't do boring anymore nor grinding. I have a reasonable local guy who does it all the time. He's much better at it.

My suggestion, Decide to what extent you want to rebuild. Find the parts. Then decide if you want to do it all or take it to someone.

:D

Thanks for the advice. I cleaned all the carbon deposits out and got it running very well. This motor has alot of power. It just leaks oil through the intake guide. So far, I switched out the mechanical fuel pump to electric pump. Did a complete tune up. rebuilt the marvel carburetor. Which I am not happy with. I am going to upgrade to a nikki 6100 carb. I am going to change the intake guides myself. The only tools I do not have for the the job is a Neway 45 degree valve seat cutter. All I can say is this tractor is awesome. I am having alot of fun working on it. I may post picture of the carb upgrade if I can figure out how to. Any other input appreciated. Thanks