Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Macnutjohn

Lift assist? Spring on 30" tiller on FDT

Macnutjohn

Got a B207 that I've converted to a Homesteader 8, using the back half of a junk Homesteader and a newer 8.5 hp Briggs. Tractor runs great, but I'm having an issue with the 30" tiller I have on the back. I've been using it for several years now, but I always had to do the strong arm bit to raise the tiller. My wife has been helping till the garden this year, but she doesn't have the arm strength I have, so lifting it back up is almost impossible for her. I was looking over the linkage at the back, and noticed that the way the p.o. had the big spring hooked up to the tiller and the hitch, it wasn't actually doing anything. I have a copy of the early Broadmoor manual, which shows all the attachments (closest thing I can find to my tractor). I have looked at the info that it shows on the tiller, but it doesn't show where the forward end of the spring is supposed to connect. The rear of the spring connects to the top of the arm on the tiller where the lift rod connects, then the forward end is connected to a bolt. However, they don't show where that bolt is attached. I'm guessing it goes somewhere on the tractor frame, or to the hitch someplace. Can anybody help?

steve-wis

Hi,

Not sure if it is the same, but I had a Yeoman 616 with a tiller that had the lift spring. The back end hooks to the tiller lift arm as you stated. The front goes to the front bolt of the transmission case, which is changed from a cap screw to a stud with a washer and a nut. Hope this helps some.

Steve