Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MadMike

KT19 Series 2

MadMike

After several years of hard use, I decided to pull the engine and do some clean up. Engine is out, heads are off, cylinders are off, and things look pretty good. Good until I look into the engine case. It looks like there's a small filter that is supposed to be snapped onto the end of the oil pick-up? Well, it's no longer attached and is lying in the bottom of the case. Weird thing is, I see no damage so there must be clearance to just lay in there. Looking at the exploded assembly manuals, I do not see this part shown anywhere. So my question: Is this an aftermarket add-on and can it be replaced by access behind the cover plate or will I have to split the engine housing. I really hope I can avoid splitting the case. Fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Brettw

This should be either a round black plastic assembly, or a rectangular metal assembly, both with screens. They are supposed to be attached to the pickup tube. With the metal one, there is a spring clip designed to hold it in place. It is called, in the service manual, an oil housing. The plastic version is held in place with a small molded clip. I am not sure if you could manipulate everything to properly install it through the holes where the connecting rods come through the block, sort of like micro surgery, but if not, you would have to split the case.

MadMike

Thanks Brett.

Looks like I have the round, black plastic version.

My manual doesn't really show the filter, or a good representation of the pick-up tube for that matter. After searching the web, I found a good photo on a parts supply site. I don't think this can be fixed thru the oil cover. Luckily it looks like it just snaps into place. We'll have to see if my daughters arms are thin enough to squeeze in there from either side and snap it back into place. I Hate to have to split a case for this filter alone, especially when I've been running with it detached for who knows how long.

As always, I learn something new everyday. :D

Brettw

There are two possibilities of where the black plastic oil housing clips together. The screen and cylinder snaps onto a round plate that is a one piece oil tube and mounting plate. That one piece tube and mounting plate snaps onto the one side of the block. Any of those little tabs can be easily broken, if not careful. Good luck! If you do split the case, you may want to think about replacing the governor gear setup right away. Although not a common problem, they have been know to fail, and when they do, there are usually catastrophic results. They are about $40.00