Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Problems on a 5212.5

garyb

I got my magneto and put the everything back together and started mowing and it would run for awhile and then I would have to use the choke to keep it running, so I pulled the carb off and the one gasket was bad so I matched up a rebuild kit and rebuilt it I thought the right way ,, now it will not suck fuel. I'm not sure of the mod# of the carb it has a fuel pump "box" on the front of the unit it's a bugger trying to get parts for the engine because I have no book on the engine so I don't know the serial number to look stuff up. can anybody give me some pointers?

If you look closely at the black shroud that is on the engine you should be able to find the engine code and serial number. It is on there but sometimes hard to locate and read. Copy the number down and you should be able to get the fuel pump rebuild kit. Check Jacks as well as ebay for the kit part# or take the serial code to your local small engine shop and they can help you find the correct kit.

Best of luck!id="size1">

I have never seen a Briggs without a serial number unless it was switched out sometime during its life. Briggs always tagged their engines as far as I know. I am not saying it couldn't happen or that you are wrong,I am saying I have worked on close to 100 Briggs 12hp engines and all of them have had a code and serial number unless the shroud was missing.

That does make it a little harder...best of luck!

Being a flat twin I believe, the numbers are just above the left side spark plug area. Stamped into the sheet metal. My 5212.5 numbers are. Good luck.