Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Non-tractor question (but it's a Briggs!) - need s

TomF

My son is working on a Briggs engine from a push lawn mower. He's cleaned the carb and I believe the fuel line. The engine fires right up after priming and pulling the cord, but immediately dies after 2-3 seconds. It seems to do better when the engine is warm; he did have it running for a minute or two late in the summer. It's almost like it's not getting fuel, but I think he's cleared the fuel line. Others have suggested leaky carb gaskets, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what direction to take, other than humbly limping into the local power equipment shop? Thanks and Happy 2002 to everyone! Tom Feldpausch

Maybe you could check the choke or the flapper valve that connects to the governor. (I'm not sure if the terminology is corrct I have not been able to find my briggs service/rebuild manual)If it runs for a few minutes and then cuts off look at the wire connecter attaching to the flapper over to linkage on the carb. Sometimes that linkage gets hung up until the motor warms up. My 2cents & worth 1/2 of that John H

TOMF: YOU MIGHT TRY RUNNING IT WITH THE FUEL CAP OFF TO SEE IF THAT SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM. I HAVE A BRIGGS PUSH MOWER THAT DID THAT TO ME AND I FOUND THAT A VACUUM OCCURED IN THE TANK AT TIMES AND WHEN I PRIMEED IT WITH THE BULB IT OVERCOMES THE VACUUM CONDITION FROM THE BULB BUT RUNS OUT AFTER THAT FUEL IS ESED. THE CAP IS DESIGNED TO VENT TO PREVENT THIS VACUUM FROM OCCURRING. I CLEANED THE CAP REAL GOOD AND I FOUND DUST AND GRASS DEBRIS INSIDE. JUST AN IDEA TO TRY. GOOD LUCK.

Since you mention both primer and fuel line, I am assuming the you have a "Max" or "Quantum" engine. It sounds like the main jet in the carb is still plugged. This is a fixed jet, so there is no adjustment. Remove the "bolt" holding the float bowl on the carb. Make sure that this is clean, and that any and all holes are open. Also, spray carb cleaner into the center of the hole where this "bolt" goes. It should spray right up into the carb throat. If not, it is plugged enough that you may need remove the carb and soak it out. DO NOT use air pressure if the primer is attached to the carb. You will blow the primer off of the carb. Pat