Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Clutch Won't Stop Transmission Pulley

tamurmueen

Hi, folks.

Yesterday, my 2012 started acting up!

The 42" drive belt between the BGB and the Transmission does appear to loosen correctly when the clutch pedal is depressed, which used to allow the rear pulley to come to a stop, enabling one to place the tractor in gear with the engine running;

however, now, when the clutch is depressed, the rear (Transmission) pulley continues to rotate, and I cannot place the tractor from neutral into gear.

Any thoughts?

My 2110 has a Hi Lo kit installed. I am missing the two belt stops for the 6" pulley mounted to the transmission.

Check your manual and see if yours are missing as well.

Sometimes, the belt guide on the BGB pulley gets loose and falls out of adjustment, thus causing the same issue you describe.

This is a belt stop on a 725. I believe it's the same on your 2012. Loosen the 5/8" bolt to let the belt stop swing one way or another. Then tighten it when the belt stop is around 1/8" to 1/4" away from the belt. Here's a copy of the manual if you want the exact way to do it.http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ifDDFO9jwJ9iGclRzOfEP5NRQpe

CIMG3254.jpg

CIMG3255.jpg

CIMG3254.jpg.c27d9408c6ceb39fbf3fda1b24904d37.jpg

CIMG3255.jpg.4479fa39510e4b03c46c93fd993f8ad7.jpg

O keep my stops even tighter....under 1/8". They work superbly. With 1/4" I would be grinding gears too.

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

O keep my stops even tighter....under 1/8". They work superbly. With 1/4" I would be grinding gears too.

id="quote">
id="quote">Like Josh says, barely daylight as an air gap. Works wonders.

Why thank you! I will make the changes when I get home Friday, and pray that is all it is. All the best!

Is the brake working properly? Or is this not set up like the later models where the brake and trans-axle are meshed?

Yes, The brake is fine. The brake and clutch on these old models are connected mechanically by the same lever - simultaneously loosening the drive belt actuator pulley (clutch) and cinching a hub connected to the transmission/axle (brake).

Thanks for the clarification question, Brett.

I will return home tomorrow, and confirm that while the transmission pulley is turning the brake hub is stopped.

Thank you for your help!

Can anyone confirm whether or not there were wire drive-belt guides on the transmission pulley of these old 2010 and 2012 models? None of mine have them.

Would it be possible to get a diagram, in order to pull the part number?

Thank you!