Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 has issues

Beef15

Back story, I bought a B10 with mowing deck, to have something with some character to hit the yard with. Not sure the year, has a 23D, ign converted to coil. Thought the BGB was worn out, found it was just the input yoke :D. Ordered one and disconnected the battery for the wait, it's had some problems starting after sitting.

Yoke comes, I put it on, change all fluids, plug and fuel filter, hook the battery up, starts just fine and warms up, go to mow, crossdrive belt breaks, replace, back to mowing.

After about ten minutes, it's way down on power on the hill and getting worse, missing, thinking maybe the filter I had was no good I put the old back on, won't crank, put the charger on, it fires, take the charger off and it starts missing. Start diagnosis, eventually determine the S/G is likely bad, and I'm suspect of the regulator as well, however when I was trying to reach half throttle for S/G testing it wouldn't do it, it'd die the moment it came off idle.

Any ideas? Likely all related? Thanks

Dirty or rusty fuel tank partially clogging the outlet in the tank? Blow air up fuel hose into tank & see if it gets better. Rinse tank with hot water & blow dry. Add a little drygas to the first tank of gas.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

May be a bad condenser or a weak battery.

id="quote">
id="quote">Battery is surely on the way out from being deep cycled.I'm not experienced at all with small engine and old style ignitions, however some quick reading on the condenser, which had not been mentioned in any of the threads I've found seems probable. And it seems it may cause the battery, gen, and points to fail. I don't think it's fuel quality, I used it for several tanks worth before taking it down to repair the drivetrain.Thanks.

A condenser is something cheap to start with but I doubt it's the only problem. It sounds like the tractor is running on a "battery ignition" system. If so when the battery is dead the unit cannot spark. Try the voltage regulator first. If it's bad then the system will not create charge.

You Said

" put the charger on, it fires, take the charger off and it starts missing."

With an external coil you need a good charge in your battery.

Good luck