Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blew another engine!

tamurmueen

Hi, folks.

Another engine exploded today - this time the 12 horse on my 2012.

If anyone has, or knows of someone who has, either a 10 or a 12 HP Briggs engine, I am now desperately looking for one of each.

Two dead tractors, and mid-summer!!!

Help!

Of the 3 Briggs engines that have gone south on me, 2 had governor issues the 3rd had worn rings leading to low oil, which I didn't check, so that one was on me! All you can do is check oil and make sure the governor is set correctly and hope for the best! With these engines now nearing 50 years old parts are bound to wear out. Unfortunately failure under wot or a heavy load usually leads to total destruction. Good luck finding a replacement engine!

I would look for the sychro balanced 12hp or higher. You will notice its a much smoother balanced motor. Also, more hp doesn't suck!:D I put a 16hp in my 64 landlord and there was a noticeable difference. Where it will really shine is with a snowthrower. A 36inch runs on anything. When you go to the 42 inch I don't know why but it gobbles more hp for only 6 inches.

Nine times out of ten, blown engines/thrown rods are due to operator neglect (poor oil change intervals & burning oil; thus running low oil levels most of the time), running the tractor on severe ground angles, and/or running it above the max spec (typically) 3600 RPM's. I've never had a thrown rod on any of my dozens of engines owned over the last 45 years of using them.

Tom (PK)

I got 3 of the 16hp Briggs. One with 10 hours and a tapered shaft, another with 17 hours and one with less than 50 hours and I will ship through Fastenal. I got a brand new 10hp 243431 model in the box never been started as well. I will sell but not give them away.

Just about any horizontal shaft engine would work. It merely depends on how much engineering you wish to do.

Thank you all for your interest and advice!

I have found two engines, and am considering a third to turn a parts tractor into a worker.

Thanks again.

Great club!!!

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I got 3 of the 16hp Briggs. One with 10 hours and a tapered shaft, another with 17 hours and one with less than 50 hours and I will ship through Fastenal. I got a brand new 10hp 243431 model in the box never been started as well. I will sell but not give them away.

id="quote">
id="quote">Holy smokes, what kinna cash do you need for the 10 horse?you can pm me if you don't want a discussion. or email Leroy3is@comcast.net

quote:Originally posted by goatfarmer

Just about any horizontal shaft engine would work. It merely depends on how much engineering you wish to do.

id="quote">
id="quote">When I bought my 2110, it was repowered with an 11hp I/C tapered shaft engine.I bought a 10hp cast iron single from BLT and retrofitted it.The old engine was mounted with an aluminum plate to get the crankshaft height up to the BGB. The engine was started with a S/G from a Broadmoor, it was the "short" one. I had to add spacers to the bracket to fit the S/G to the 243431 engine. The throttle shaft was on the wrong side of the 11hp carb. There was a different throttle cable on the old engine.Fitting an "oddball" engine is kinda easy, but it's all the little stuff that can make you scratch your head.

• 2 weeks later...