Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Age of Briggs and Stratton Engine

DorneyMA1

I have a Simplicity model 5216 with an I.D. Number: 1690810 002174. It has a 16 horse B&S engine. Model 402707, Type 0132 01, and Code 830523. Can anyone tell me how old my tractor is? Thank you.

It was built in 1983, 5th month and I think line 23 if memory servers me right, but for sure 1983. The last six digits hold thr answer.

David, Bob is right. If this is the original engine, then the tractor is an 1983 or maybe a 1984 (engine from last years stock) unlikely with the engine built in May. Maybe someone can help me with the engine model number, I don't have the B&S book in front of me but usually the first two digits are the cu. in. ??

MS

The first block of numbers has to do with the basic engine, the first two numbers with cu in size anhd the remaining four with carburation and PTO info. The next set of numbers with the dash is the final bill of material and the last set of six and maybe now eight numbers is the time frame built and the first two numbers are year and then the next two month. The rest are devoted the shift built and which line built them. It would not suprise me to see a 1983 May built engine in a 1984 MY machine as like now snowblowers are being built for the MY 2000 and then they jump into garden tractors for MY 2000. It takes time for the supply chain to come all together to get this stuff done.