Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

728 Broadmoor shiftless

simplewrench

I picked up a 728 over the weekend. Runs beautifully, however the trans does not want to shift into 1st or reverse. After removing the seat pan and exploring down the fill hole I determined that everything was lined up correctly. So I pulled up on the shift lever and pounded the shifter over and it went in gear. I went back and forth several times and put it all back together. I was able to mow with it but it is still difficult to get in 1st and reverse. My thinking is that maybe the spring that keeps the shift block from moving is bent. Any thoughts or has anyone else concurred this problem? Thanks to all.

728plus.JPG

Sorry almost forgot the picture:]That is a 738 parts tractor that came with the deal in the background.

728plus.JPG.489ac369587a8b168031b14bfdf7f149.JPG

Whelp,,, do you have the rest of the 738??

If you don't feel like cracking open the transaxle and looking for anything out of sorts, then a transplant would be in order as long as you have it laying around.

Someone here should be able to provide you with a maintenance manual so you can correctly disassemble the gearbox and work from there.

Actually the previous owner took the transaxle from the 738 and put it on the 728. He said everything was fine until he got a little rammy while plowing snow. I have a pdf of the manual I just wanted to avoid cracking open the trans. But thanks for your input.

I have a 2 speed 717...later bought a 727 and a 728 for the 3 speeds . I found one of the gearboxes did not want to shift either. What I found was that the gearbox got water in it. Over several seasons of sitting the humidity rose to the upper end of the gear box and rusted up the shifting components.

Upon dis-assembly for investigation, the water had indeed settled below the oil as expected, but had done it's damage. With all the linkage cleaned up, it worked again.

It was not really all that bad to R&R and tear down. I was extremely impressed at the quality of the design over all and see why they are SO good and seem to last for ever.

Removeing the trans and tearing apart is not that bad.They are rather simple also to split apart,if you go this route and need parts let me know I have quite a few parts from rearends that I have tore apart.

Okay, thank you guys I appreciate the advice. I plan on using some more for now and see if it loosens up at all. I have a 2 speed Broadmoor and a Homelite T12 I need to tear apart for rear end work already so I suppose I need to roll up my sleeves and dive in.