Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sovy issue - the saga continues

Mike

went out tonite to start the triad sovy tonite, 65 total hours, turns over intermittenly about 5 times then stops, won't start, I can hear a breaker clicking, not the solenoid, I'm a little stumped,

also how does the starter come out, does the motor have to be pulled?

The circuit breaker does not protect the starter. The circuit breaker clicking would indicate maybe a bad starter relay/solenoid or a short somewhere. I would try jumping the starter on the power out of the terminal see if starter engages, as that would check its integrity.

this is the strangest non starting issue I have ever encountered.

This thing has always been an incredible starter.

sometimes starter will turn over about 5 revolutions and the other times nothing not even solenoid clicking.

the noise I have been hearing could be carb solenoid

I'll tear into it tonite if time allows

quote:Originally posted by Mike

sometimes starter will turn over about 5 revolutions and the other times nothing not even solenoid clicking.the noise I have been hearing could be carb solenoid

id="quote">
id="quote"> That statement would lead me to believe you have dirty connections somewhere. Intermittent failures generally indicate that.

I have had the relay wire shake loose on commands. I agree, it does sound like a loose wire. Any chance your oil sentry is dirty or off?

It's not the oil sentry, that would effect spark, not starter.

I'm thinking it's in the interlock system since cranking is interrupted. Seat switch, PTO switches, module, etc.

Run a +12v source straight to the solenoid and see if it cranks. If the key switch is on, it should also fire up.

tonite I pulled the battery, found both power leads to the solenoid loose, thought for sure that was it, put it back together, nothing, kept trying the switch and it started, I'm leaning towards key switch, but the breaker could be it also.

I though it was turning over and not starting. Did you try jumping the starter as suggested? Also you could just by pass the cylinoid or put a 30 amp fuse in line to try. Sounds like you narrowed it down. I have only seen 1 key switch go bad. It seems like the breakers based on location have terminals that rot. Best of luck to you.

Before you start it, turn on head lights and from the run position, try starting engine. If the lights go off when attempting start a few times, it would eliminate CB.

What is the purpose of the circuit breaker?

Right before it started, I noticed light switch was on, I turned the switch off and it started.

While I suspect the switch, I know it's pretty rare for a nice clean near new switch to go bad.

I have had several bad solenoids in recent times. They will energize and start the starter spinning, but not pass enough current for it to keep spinning or turn fast enough to start. Put a new solenoid on and mine start right up.

Also had one starter-generator that was not putting out enough voltage. It would not fully charge the battery and made it act just like yours. Swapped the S-G and it worked fine and is still working great.

ok , so went out tonite to sweep up cottonwood seeds. tractor stared fine, as i was sweeping i decided to turn the lights on as it was getting dark. flipped light switch ( no lights) and motor killed, turned lights back off and tractor started.

it's either a dead short in light wiring or a bad cell in battery imo. thoughts?

Not a bad cell in the battery I would think. If it killed pretty much right away when the lights were turned on, I would think a dead short causing the breaker to go. A bad cell would likely not let it start, or restart, to begin with. Once running, I would think the stater would provide enough juice to run the lights. Just my thoughts.

Brett, I had it where it would barely start or intermittent, if the tractor was run the battery would not turn it over once warm. Batteries do weird things when they are on their way out. It could be just too much draw with a dead cell, I agree though, it is only one possibility. Thats why I suggested running jumpers to see if the problem still exists. It may, or may not.

last night on a full battery charge, solenoid would just growl and that was with the lights disconnected. I'll replace solenoid when I get back into town, off hand anyone know if its a 3 or 4 pole solenoid.

I have had a similar problem on one of my Sovy 3314. Ended up checking the switch to the starter. Would start sometimes and not start. A bad postive batttery cable was the problem. When testing I discovered it was not always carrying current. There was a break midway in the cable which was unusual. You could twist the cable somewhat and it would carry current.Replaced with a new cable problem solved. Now I check electrical systems on my tractors about once a year for good tight connection, free of corrosion , suspect breaks or frayed wires

put a new solenoid in tonite, same growling, switched batteries fired right up, mowed an acre and a half no problem. tried the lights before I shut it off and it died wouldn't start again. waited a few minutes and it popped right off. I'll try a new circuit breaker next.

quote:Originally posted by Mike

put a new solenoid in tonite, same growling, switched batteries fired right up, mowed an acre and a half no problem. tried the lights before I shut it off and it died wouldn't start again. waited a few minutes and it popped right off. I'll try a new circuit breaker next.

id="quote">
id="quote">Your circuit breaker is working just fine. You have a short to ground in the light circuit. When you turn the light switch on, the circuit breaker opens to prevent the wiring from burning up. Once the circuit breaker opens, it takes a little time for it to re-close. It is a thermal device internally.Find the short before you throw any more parts at it. The light wiring is not that hard to trace out.John U

Check This Out

wire.jpg

This was inside the protective wire cover, never would have seen it, I unplugged the lights and direct wired lights to battery and saw the sparks.