Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar U joint

Killer_A-C

If they are Weasler they are $34 each through Simplicity. Part number 1679003SM. If they are Neapco. They are NLA according to Jack`s website.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to replace the one on the tranny side of the shaft.

Is there a way to replace it without removing the shaft? This is on an 88 Sunstar with the M16.

It is wobbling quite a bit and creating a vibration in the motor while running and shut down.

Just trying to get this mower in shape before I put it for sale and don't want to saddle anyone with a known issue...wish the guy I bought it from had the same ethics.C

More then likely the needle bearing pins are shot and the cross's need to be replaced and the only way to replace then is taking the shaft apart.

It seems like when I grab it at the end of the shaft where it connects to the output shaft of the transmission the play is in there. Almost like the splines are worn or the output shaft is moving...

Should I just remove the shaft off the motor and check it out further?

If you can move driveshaft laterally gives more evidence that a cross is kaput at this point. You'll have to remove the whole driveshaft to confirm it. More then likely both cross' will have to be replaced.

That shaft is a slip fit onto the hydro input shaft if I remember correctly. All one would need to do is remove your engine mount bolts and slide the engine forward a few inches to get that shaft off the hydro input. With the tunnel cover removed, you might be able to replace the u-joint cross without taking the other end off the motor. Hopefully it was not ran this way too long to wear on the splines.