Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Question

Smolenski7

I have a 2009 22/44 Regent. I bought it because of its unique hanging deck, and I love the stripes from the rear roller that only a Simplicity can give. Simplicity tractors like mine are marketed with respect to those features. As a result, I stripe my lawn every time I cut, which is about every 3 days from mid-April through Thanksgiving. I put about 65-70 hours on it every year just from cutting the lawn.

Because of this I put a lot of stress on the steering. I had to replace the steering gear at around 180 hours and now, at about 270 hours, the steering is loose. The problem is that the steering gear is composed of teeth that look to be about 1/4".

1. Why does B&S use such a wimpy gear especially if the machine is billed as being able to stripe which requires a lot of stress on that particular part?

2. Do any of the higher end Simplicities have a more beefy gear?

I'd hate to say it, but even the entry level Big Box Store JD's have a more heavy duty steering gear than my Simplicity that was about twice the price 5 years ago.

Your looking at the entry level machine. You have to jump up to a conquest to get something beefy...prestige even better.

I know the Regent is an entry level tractor, however, I was kinda hoping someone might know something about the size of the steering gear on some of the other machines.

Is the Broadmoor the same thing as the Regent but with a better tranny? I was thinking that it might have a steering gear with larger teeth.

The regent is a machine all it's own. I believe the Broadmoor is built with similar components to the conquest. Heck for a while this model even boasted 1" spindles, iirc. I can't access the parts lookup from my phone to verify.

I will also note that this 1/4" dimension does not dictate the quality of the component. It's the design of the system and softness of the metals. The gears on my 1968 B-110 are similar sized and are still good over 40 years later.

My Prestige part number 1722385 is for steering gEAR &, shaft assembly. If the number are the same as yours. They would be the same. Never have had an issue with mine.

Definitely a different part number. A Prestige, however, is way more tractor than I need. I like my Regent, it just can't handle all of the striping that I do every 3 days. Replacing this part is way less $$ than stepping up to a Conquest or Prestige.

As long as your happy, thats all that really matters. One tip, watch ebay to see if you can get a good used one to save some money. That way you will have one on the shelf...

I'm not familiar with the parts in question here for this brand, but I've seen several other cheaper brands.

On many of those, the pie shaped gear is pretty flat and much thinner than the round one.

Since you do so much turning, consider getting 2 pie shaped gears, and welding them together to make double thickness gears. even if you had to cut off and discard the end away from the teeth.

That is if it's possible with that particular gear.

quote:Originally posted by Smolenski7

Definitely a different part number. A Prestige, however, is way more tractor than I need. I like my Regent, it just can't handle all of the striping that I do every 3 days. Replacing this part is way less $$ than stepping up to a Conquest or Prestige.

id="quote">
id="quote">I was just giving you the part number to compare. Wasn`t trying to talk you into buying a different tractor.