Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Noisy pto on 7116

bigdog46

I have a Simplicity 7116 that I have been working on. When I engage the cone clutch on the pto it sounds like a bearing is rough. I can't determine if it is the bearing in the pulley or the bgb making the noise. Any suggestions to identify the problem? The bgb is not noisy otherwise. Thanks.

Check the back side of the clutch or friction plate. If it has shiny scored marks on the cast iron the lining is worn out of tolerance and the pulley is hitting the backside when engaged.

Bearing could also be bad and cause the pulley to wobble on the shaft. Which can ruin the lining as well.

Have you tried adjusting the gap between the pulley and the clutch plate when disengaged?

The bearing pressed in the cone clutch pulley doesn't turn when the clutch is engaged. It only turns when it is disengaged, so it's probably not that bearing unless it is wobbling causing other problems like Ray said.

Check when its disenguaged as well, I had one on a rear end I swapped that the cone clutch sat cocked until engauged. I hit it with penetrating oil carefully not to get the lining, the next time I used it I got the noise until the deck hit some tall grass then quiet as can be. Just a thought.

I have replaced three of those cone clutch bearings. They spin all the time when disengaged, but should not spin when engaged. What I have found is that the thin sleeve that is inside the bearing race to make it fit the shaft, but slide back and forth, will become bad and sometimes will jam on the shaft and cock the bearing on an angle. The bearing will go bad and get the sleeve hot and it will try to bunch up and do damage to the shaft. I am running one currently that got some shaft damage from a failed bearing.