Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Chance for 7117H

Up-north55709

I am a newbie to the rural-up north, wooded, rough country, living, and tractors. I am looking to crack into this extraordinary world of old lawn tractors. My priority would be a good snow-remover (tough with all the woods around), durable, easy to use (so my wife can run it when Im gone), and built tough for future garden opportunities and rugged lawn terrain.

Tractor I have my eyes on:

Tractor serial number is 1690571 then 005000 (Simplicity 7117H)

New starter

new battery

new deck spindle

Engine Model: M20S Spec#49544

(no clue as to hours)

New rings and valves

Seems to be a good tractor, solid, running, starts without a problem and no problems.

Guy is looking for $1050 with a snow thrower (looks and feels to be in awesome condition).

Should I take the plunge on my first tractor, or should I start smaller for the $500 range? Are the M20S good motors? I Read some things by Al that sounded like they were the upgraded motor, but no clue as to durability and/or the year of the tractor or motor.

Any help is greatly appreciated, been researching like a mad man for several weeks, reading many many forums and posts. This site is an incredible resource...!!

The 7117 is en excellent tractor! The upgrade to a 20 horse is an added benefit (especially for a snow mover). I dont think his price is out of line, as long as condition is good to great. That being said, I would rather see you get it for a hundred or two less but dont think you would regret the grand.

I understand limited options up north too. You could drive a few hours with your fingers crossed or perhaps pay a higher price for something local that you dont have to pay a fuel bill to see and inspect.

Any pictures?

I don't think you can go wrong with that tractor and a 20hp. Like said before, you will love it for snow throwing! Its like garage space, you always wish you had more!!!:D

The M20 is a direct fit replacement engine for the KT17 that was in the tractor. The M20 is an electronic ignition vs a coil, condenser and points, and, is 3 more horsepower. A very good engine in my opinion, if it has been taken care of, and like any engine, kept full of oil and reasonable oil change intervals. Plenty of power for that tractor, in fact, more than was ever put into any of these from the factory.

These are great blowing snow, do an excellent job of cutting grass, and are built like a tank. The main issue with these tractors is generally when the engines go. Yours has already been replaced. But the rest of the tractor is pretty much bullet proof. Many of these are still working tractors after 30-40 years, and more. Your model tractor was likely built in the late 70's- mid 80's.

Not a bad price if in good shape. Good luck, and welcome to the club, Michael!

I tried to offer the guy $950 for it (he still has it listed for $1150).

He told me that he put almost that much in parts into it.

Also included: rear chains, mower deck- looks to be in good shape, and all new belts.

Is it fairly easy to get wheel weights and possibly a new seat (seat has obvious tears/cracks in it) for these and not spend a ton?

Thanks for the help guys, like TalentedMrgreen said, very limited options living in northern MN, and I havent seen the tractor in person, but had a couple friends check it out (3 hours away from me, but it is on the way for an upcoming trip).

Not long after you give him the extra 200 bucks you will you will be smiling that it was well spent. Believe me, the strips are nice, and snowthrowing is man oh man! Get it and we can tell you how to tweek the blower to do a better job. You have plenty of HP and will want to snowthrow, at least at the beginning of the season and BEFORE your first facewash!:D

You won't be disappointed. I used a 7118 to blow snow in Western Maine for many years. I never found it lacking for power. Yes at times I had to take less of a bite of snow. But it never quit on me.

The 20 horse motor will do a great job with the blower. Given the attachments he has the 1,150 price is cheap when compared to what Maine has to offer.

Rick......

• 1 month later...

Well I went ahead and picked it up! It is truly an awesome machine. I have not hooked up the blower (waiting until I'm done mowing) But it does mow like a dream. I have a very rough yard with lumps and bumps, but this thing mows very smooth and runs like a top.

Engine/oil was very clean, bought from a machinist who took it all apart, cleaned everything, new valves and rings. He even machined his own high-performance oil filter.

2 small issues I haven't looked into yet:

When in neutral, it goes slowly in reverse (assuming a linkage adjustment somewhere).

Parking brake doesn't really work (again, assume a simple adjustment possibly some wear parts?) Given my terrain, i would really like this to function.

Thinking about adapting an ATV plow to attach to it some way to move some dirt around, any objections? Is the actual "dozer blade" that much different?

I will post some pics when I figure out how, thanks for the great advice and encouragement!! As I dig into some repairs (this fall, once the season is over), I will most likely pay my dues and get in the action.

Now to find some quality attachments for a descent price...

Minor fixes, look up hydro creep to adjust it. Also, why the heck would he machine a part that is readily avaialable. There is no "Hy Performance" as its a tractor...lol. Oil goes in, oil goes out. For the brake, if you trace it theres 2 places to adjust if I remember right. I never use the brake so it never gets out of adjustment...

If it has hydro lift Hunt for an original dozer blade, they are tough to beat.

I have never used a brake on a hydro tractor or the emegancy brake eithersm01

The M20 is in my opinion on of the best engines Kohler ever built for the garden tractors.

It originally came with an oil filter. The PO probably "machined" the frame so the oil filter is easily removed. The original engines for the 7100 series did not have oil filters.

Burntime- the guy machined oil filters for all his cars too, had some kind of patent going and was in talks to work with some synthetic oil manufacturer. Not all oil filters are alike, at least in the auto world. I don't think it matters much for tractors though, but hey I'm new at this too. As for the Hydro creep, I think I found the adjustment just need to get it right. I also don't want so tge brake much (or any) but given my extremely hilly terrain, it would be nice to have the park brake, for when I jump off quick. Once again, fairly easy fix once I get it just right.

So far so good, did just shred the mower belt, that was fun.. Previous guy had quite the buildup of debris in there!

Mike- does have Hydro lift. I'll get hunting, tough to find one that wouldn't cost me it's worth just in fuel to see it!

quote:Originally posted by Up-north55709

Burntime- the guy machined oil filters for all his cars too, had some kind of patent going and was in talks to work with some synthetic oil manufacturer. Not all oil filters are alike, at least in the auto world. I don't think it matters much for tractors though, but hey I'm new at this too. As for the Hydro creep, I think I found the adjustment just need to get it right. I also don't want so tge brake much (or any) but given my extremely hilly terrain, it would be nice to have the park brake, for when I jump off quick. Once again, fairly easy fix once I get it just right. So far so good, did just shred the mower belt, that was fun.. Previous guy had quite the buildup of debris in there! Mike- does have Hydro lift. I'll get hunting, tough to find one that wouldn't cost me it's worth just in fuel to see it!

id="quote">
id="quote">Check the idler pulleys when you reinstall the belt, sometimes if they are going bad or freezing up it will kill a belt quick

Congrats, you'll love it! I a little less than that for mine with a blower and deck/vac system, but it was still the stock 16hp cast single. I'd say you did great!

Now, what't this talk of tweaking the blower to work even better?

Thanks Okie, one of them was pretty loose I fixed it up, cleaned everything and gave the bearings a shot of lube. Seems to be running well. Living up north small town MN, I had to throw a cheaper belt in, as it was the only one I could get without ordering. I will take it all apart and spruce things up when the season changes (very soon).

Agreed rich, what was that about!?