Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb help needed---Problem Solved--

MPH

Got started working on my Mighty Mac today.

7.24MighyMacLft.jpg

7.24MighyMacRt.jpg

The little 5hp Briggs has compression, but had no spark, so I pull the flywheel looking for points, none of those so I sanded the coil pickup post and put it back together, they were rusty. Now has spark so emptied the OLD gas, might have still been leaded gas, changed the oil and it fired on first pull. It runs but floods real bad. Cleanrd the needle valve, took off the diapham cover and blew carb cleaner through it, No help. Only # I can find on it says 5hp. So, how do I find a new carb or kit for it?Had more fun a couple days ago, woke this guy up after a 2 year nap.

7.214040Out.jpg

Had to crank for maybe a min. but started up and ran great, so I put it too work, after an oil change.

7.214040Working.jpg

Shut it off for a break after an good hour and seemed it cranked to long before it started again. Worked it about another hour and half, haven't tried starting it since.

7.24MighyMacLft.jpg.fc9083e5ebc5d0a36ba3612439882358.jpg

7.24MighyMacRt.jpg.f57e34387add8257743e769a592af552.jpg

7.214040Out.jpg.fdb8e348cd3eafe5f9d7d80b0b571223.jpg

7.214040Working.jpg.14ad7a9077b98cd3d7466f7def1214de.jpg

Marty, on chipper, it's a model 13xxxx on top of the blower housing or down the side opposite the muffler, should be model type and S/N and build date. I am going to E-mail an OM and PL of what I think.

Invest in a gallon or so of carburetor cleaner, take the carb off the tank, remove diaphragm, needle and anything else easily removable. Put all metal parts in the gallon of cleaner and let it soak overnight, at least. Wash it out with the solvent recommended by your cleaner, blow out completely and reassemble. I used to use spray cleaner exclusively, but have so much better results with cleaner that I only use spray on outside, usually.

And, that stamping of the numbers may be so light as to nearly be unreadable without buffing the side of the cover.Look hard after buffing. If it is running at all, the pump diaphragm is usually ok. I suppose you put the spring and washer back in place. There is little that can be wrong with the carb, besides trash in the ports.

Good luck

Thanks guys.

I did take a piece of emery cloth to it yesterday and found the numbers. It is a model # 130202 built in "87. My son is bringing down a rebuild kot from Fairbanks today. Think I stll have a gallon of cleaner, if it doesn't go bad, it's pretty old.

p.s.

An earthquake in southeast knocked the internet out for a day, yesterday so I had a productive day yesterday.

I got a carb kit for, soaked it for 24 hours in carb cleaner, put the kit in today and it still runs the same, barely keep hitting producing lots of black smoke. There is only one jet to adjust and I can screw it in tight for no change. Looking for ideas.

Thanks.

Marty, this might be a dumb question.

I don't see an air cleaner in the picture?

Some of that type carb need at least the screw installed to run. The air cleaner screw hole goes right down into the tank so without the screw, they suck gas right up through that hole flooding them.

Otherwise I can't be much help.

I had hope Dan, this one screws to the intake throat of the carb, dang-it, the hole don't go through so it didn't help.

Gas cap on these type affect anything? Haven't been around these type much, maybe on the one push mower I had.

Yes it is Bob.

Wondering based on Dans reply if the gasket I used out of the 4 or 5 in the kit has an un-needed hole to the tank compared to the one other one that was close to it. Gonna check that out next.

Marty, did you check the mixture adjusting needle valve. Sometimes the end will break off and let too much fuel through regardless of how it is adjusted.

Hunting for something I sat here looking at the part diagram for this carb for quite some time today, must have the engine type. Saw this Welch Plug shown in the stem next to the fuel pick-up tube and knew mine didn't have one in there. Checked the tank, fuel jug I had emptied the tank into after each removal, nothing..Aww, the coffee can I dumped the gas I used washing the tank out. There it was, about 5/16 in in dia

7.29WelchPlug.jpg

Dab of 10 min JB Weld and now runs like a top. Could have been something bigger for two days of fustration.

7.29WelchPlug.jpg.5e60207f1c49c15c543d26db4a0ad8b0.jpg