Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mighty Mac Questions

MPH

First would be the centrifugal clutch. How fast should the engine be running before it locks in? Think it's rusted because though it will free spin holding it and pulling the starter rope it run the shredder on idea.

Is 5hp enough to do anything? Saw the new ones start at 12hp.

Don't see a Model # on it. On a nice clean name plate only a serial # is listed. Didn't seem to help on what I found for Mac sites. Do the screens from new ones fit the old ones? Any need for a screen smaller the 1 inch?

Marty, does yours have the chipper and the hammermill, or just the hammermill? I used a self-powered non-chipper, and it worked great with the 5hp Briggs. The clutch on every one I have ever used kicks in almost as soon as the belt begins to move. I think otherwise it would slip considerably when in use.

The chipper I have can pull down on any single cylinder tractor gas engine I have used it behind. I run it exclusively on the 7790 now. It will chip with less power, but boy can you fly through some stuff when the speed stays up. I had one that was self powered with a 5hp briggs also, but never got a chance to get the engine running to try it...

Smaller screens work great for getting a finer grind, but the 1" does a nice job getting fingernail sized chips. Going smaller slows down the grind quite a bit. I have a few different sizes...1/4" results in nearly sawdust, but you'll be there all day. If I wanted a fine grind, I think I'd run my big stuff through the 1", then take 1 minute to swap screens and shovel in my chips to vaporize them with the 1/4" screen in place.

The clutchs I have seen all have an allen screw to set them. On the go cart as a kid it started kicking in at maybe 1200-1500. We used to set it so it jumped in over 2500 and go baby go! LOl

Mine is just the shedder Josh. Wish it was the combo but this will do most of my needs, mainly clean out the garden and greenhouse in the fall. Been burning brush on this place for 30 years now, would miss a good bon fire now and then.

Good to hear the 5hp will do the job. Snappy little guy.

Thanks.

Marty, I have a "hang on" shredder only, and on my '68 2110, almost have to run it FOT.The trick with the shredder is to rotate the "hammers", to take advantage of the sharpest edge. Made a mod to mine to access the the hammer axles easily. Currently working on getting my '69 2110 running, to try it again. Have a lot of ash bark* to breakdown for compost. *try to split the logs to "pop" the bark off, this reduces the creosote build up in the furnace and wood stove. if you get the anvil of the splitter into the cambium layer just under the bark (if it is dry), it will "pop". I also thought of fashioning an off center anvil to better strip the bark. Also helps to get rid of insects, that like to hangout under the bark, before bringing the wood inside.

Wayne