Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

cone clutch

gjanm

I know some guys have had success with using a portion of a leather belt to reline their clutches. I have no experience with how this is done but I am sure someone will chime in. I have also seen them for sale on ebay and Craigslist.

You may also have some success with the classified section of this site.

Honestly if you use the tractor I would buy a new one for about 70 bucks. They last a long time. Not worth dinking around, if the clutch goes out while using your dead in the water...

It would be about 50 bucks to your door. If the part were no longer available, well then yes, go for it! Theres something said about being able to do it yourself. But if the part is available why go thru the work to maybe fix it? I would buy new, then, if thats not an option based on cost, go to ebay. Remember, the nut has to be replaced on the cone clutch, it is single use.

70.00 dollars new?? That is a no brainer. What a BARGIN

Think I am going to buy them all up and when they are NLA...sell them at a huge profit! LOL:D

How much is the nut?? 50.00? LOL

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

70.00 dollars new?? That is a no brainer. What a BARGIN Think I am going to buy them all up and when they are NLA...sell them at a huge profit! LOL:DHow much is the nut?? 50.00? LOL

id="quote">
id="quote">Sounds like a plan! Nothing is free. I have 6 of them in the parts draw like new.

From what I understand the guys use a contact cement. I think that there are guys who also use kevlar as an alternative to leather.

If I rember right I believe member Skunkhome has some experience with reclining cone clutches. .

You may try contacting him through the membership list.

Good luck on your project.

Hello, In the past I have had good luck with E-6000 glue I have glued Magnets on to flywheels and the brake linings on the tractors

It is sold in craft and hobby sections

Thanks Ken in Mi

For what they cost new and as long as they last. It isn`t worth messing with. Get the old belt glued in and the next pass it is laying on the ground, possibly. I guess it can always be glued back in:D.