Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor addiction continues...I just cant say no

GLPointon

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I have a hard time keeping up with more than 20 (did I really just say that?). I think there are 25 out there now...sold 5 in August! I used to change oil, etc, like clockwork when I had 2 or 3. Now I haven't a clue how to keep them all up to date. No idea how much use each one sees...I run them all for joyrides and various tasks (that are made up, and don't necessarily NEED to be done with a tractor), but usually just change fluids cuz I feel bad.That, and the fact that I have waaay too much lead out there in batteries. We all know those are like gold. If the hobby didn't pay for itself, I'd have a lot more space to store kid stuff in the shop. I keep telling my wife, some day I'll sell all the tractors and go buy my duramax without borrowing from our checking account.I have two here to deliver to new owners in LaPorte, and a couple more someone needs to come grab...seriously. At least 3 of various vintages that need to find new homes.

id="quote">
id="quote">I have clipboard for each tractor, with a maintenance schedule, It list the model/serial number of the tractor and engine, the types and amounts of fluids/filters needed, the p/n for the belts for tractor, deck and other implements, as well as tune up information for plugs/points, and gap

I would have to go to Staples and order a case of clipboards...then where would I store those!

I would have to go to Staples and order a case of clipboards...then where would I store those!

id="quote">
id="quote"> A cripple stud and lots of coffee cup holders.:D

id="quote">
id="quote">I hang them on the wall of the shop, also have 4 draw up right file cabinet with 3 ring binders with operator/parts/service manuals for each machine, just so there handy. My dad sold airplanes, lots of airplanes from Jets to turbo props, he built and flew his own planes, I'll never know as much about maintenance than he did. He had to convince the FAA to let him sell used airplanes with 100,000 hours on them, he did so by showing a rebuild/repair/upgrade manual step by step. From 1970-1980 he sold well over a hundred Beech 99 commuters, from 1982-1991 he bought back almost 3/4 of those planes, broken down, salvage and repossessed and had them rebuilt and resold at Beech FBO's, at a great consternation of the FAA

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Thats a great little tip for keeping track of the all important maintenance schedules.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks, proper maintenance is what will keep these machines running, whether you have one or one hundred, you need a maintenance schedule, no one can remember all it takes for proper maintenance. Of course you could just go to big orange store for a tractor and turn the key and mow until it dies, then do it all over again, millions of people do, that's why there are big orange and blue stores. Wives and wallets contribute to the demise of these machines, big stores take advantage of that opportunity.