Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Question!

Just re-built the carb on my 1971 Soverign 3314H 14hp One thing still bugs me! The "horizontal" tube - part of the body that the air cleaner base and filter housing sits on is OPEN ....meaning it is not sealed off? I can't understand why a cleaner is used at all since the air will be drawn into the mix via the path of least resistance ( going in this open end) (the end is facing tword the rear of the tractor) The goofey part is the darn thing runs great as is! Is there a missing plug? or am I just spending tooo much time on my tractor like the wife says? Couldn't find any carb pic's to answer this myself - so I'm forced to embarass myself asking this dumb question so I can put my mind at rest and stop thinking about this! Man,I love my tractor! Always giving me somthing to think about! Any help would be appreciated! Dan

Yes, there is supposed to be a plug there. It is an expansion plug, Briggs part #221747. Nail polish, super glue, or liguid steel should be applied to the carb body where the plug mates. The plug is installed while this is wet, curved side out, then tapped or "dented" to expand it. The little flange of the carb body, around this plug, should be staked in three of four different places to hold the plug securely. Pat

If I got you right, yea there should be about a inch and half dia plug in that hole. Mine fell out once last summer yard rakeing in real dusty conditions, not good..because all I could find in here in Tok was a frost plug at NAPA I glued it in with red silicone...MPH