Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
73gitane

Problem with 7016 Power Lift

73gitane

Hi, I just recently bought a 7016 off of CL with a tiller, plow, deck, dozer blade and dump cart. It's my first tractor an I'm having lots of fun with it! We recently moved to 7 acres and have never needed a tractor before. I got it to mow 1 acre and maintain a 300' driveway and garden.

Been pretty happy with it so far but have several questions. The most pressing is about the power lift. It worked for a while but I got a problem now. It is in the low position now and when I try to raise it the ammeter bumps to 30 amps and pops the momentary fuse. Once the fuse resets it will pop again when i try to lift. If I try to lower it more it just makes a clicking noise which I believe is normal since it is at the end of its range.

This has happened a couple times before and somehow I got it to work but now it seems to be stuck good. Does anyone know if it' jammed up internally or how to go about fixing it? Will I need to take it apart? I'm pretty handy so I'm not afraid to tear into it.

I really had no idea how special Simplicity tractors are till I researched this one before my purchase.

Thanks!,

Steve

SmilinSam

First thing I would do is take it out of the tractor, or at least un pin it from the lift shaft and see if the lift shaft or anything connected to it is binding anywhere. If not, then your problem is definitely with the electric lift system itself.

73gitane

Took the lift off of the tractor and found that one wire's insuallation was worn through and making intermittent contact with the lift body.

Looks like the wire was grounding out. Which is fine in one direction but causing a short when the toggle switch moves the lift in the opposite direction. Hopefully this theory pans out when I get it all put back together.

Is the electric lift generally pretty reliable? I was all set to ditch the lift and find a lever but it might have plenty of life left still.

Thank,

Steve

MikeES

The electric lifts can be very reliable. They require very little maintenance. There are no lube points.

1. Electrical connections (which you already know about) are critical...ie corrosion and bad contacts in the switch, broken and shorted wires (which is common with it's location).

2. Watch the indicator and try not to run the lift into the "clicking" or bump stops too often. This will wear out the lift mechanicals.

73gitane

Well I'm happy to report the lift is working fine after taping up the exposed copper wire. There was 2" of worn off insulation! I bought it from the son of the original buyer. He said the dad used it pretty regularly but he only fired it up periodically to have fun and intertain his kids.

It was newi in '78. The son said when he got it in '98 it needed a new engine. I can't remember if he rebuilt it or found one new. And then shortly after that he got a new carb. It was always stored under cover so it's in pretty decent shape. I's a pretty potent machine and I love how you can easily flip the seat assembly up to get access to all the internals.

Thanks again,

Steve