Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Winch for raising tractors

mroman59

Anyone have any photos of electric winches used to raise their tractors off the ground for repairing them? For example, mounted to a beam in barn and hoisting them up. If so, would like to see photos in action.

MR

I use mine all the time. Not so much for lifting tractors, but for moving attachments, unloading the pickup, pulling engines, adding a third hand for maintenance/repair work, etc. It's an 100# model from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight. Works flawlessly.Here is a couple examples I dug up.

20140704_100520.jpg

20130206_180222.jpg

20130206_180312.jpg

20130209_172327.jpg

I have mine mounted on a trolley type system, and have a second rail mounted along the shelving in the rear of the shop. I can pull a pin and move the hoist to that rail system for lifting attachments up onto the shelves. it works very, very well. The most I have hoisted is probably 400lbs or so, and I don't care to put too much more on my joists.My cart isn't all that heavy, but it will pick the front or rear into the air. Of course, I stick stands beneath and release some tension from the cable/joists once lifted.

20130303_170103.jpg

Nice setup, Josh. I'll will have to look into it. Is the rail system also from Northern Tool, or did you fabricate that?

One source is UnistrutFound these. I think the rail ratings might be higher on some of the other styles they offer.

trolley.gif

P1000.gif

I think some have used Barn door track from TSC, Menards etc.

Greg nailed it...mine is barn door track and trolley. I wouldnt want to use it regularly for anything over 300lbs, but its rare I have that kind of weight in need of a dead lift. Im also a little leery of putting a big load on it in winter when the roof is bearing extra weight.

I have a buddy with the same lift in his barn, and he pulls and installs boat engines with his, but it is fixed and not on a trolley. Im not sure what a Chevy 600 with blower weighs, but its a lot.

I use the unistrut and this exact trolley for my job all the time up on smoke stacks. Do not try and weld two unitrut pieces together. The strut pieces will flare out and the trolley has the potential to fall out. I would stay with the steel for further strength. Don't use the aluminum rails. I would not try to lift anything over 300lbs as was stated in the other replies. We temporarily hang them using a standard come-along. It's a quick way to support if you plan to take it up and down or move to a new location.

Dave

If I remember a post from yrs ago, I think thats what Ray put in his shop as a mobil hoist. He may have info/pics..?

I just read Josh's,,,awesome idea for a shop too