Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is the ammeter needed?

marty22877

Hello all. I've been given a 1968 Simplicity Landlord 2210 that has the Briggs and Stratton 243431 10hp engine in it. It runs great but I've been having some electrical issues lately so I'm just tearing all of the old wiring out and replacing everything, the wiring looks as old as the tractor. I've noticed the ammeter really doesnt do much and to get it out is going to be more of a pain then it's worth it, I can just bypass that when rewiring and everything will be ok correct?

thanks in advance.

It basically tells you only if you are charging, discharging, or anywhere inbetween. I would leave it. A volt meter would tell you more but hey, its 40 plus years old...

You ammeter is wired in series, it is part of the circuit.

You can jumper the meter with wire the same gauge that is connected to it and you will simply bypass the gauge.

You can also disconnect the wires from the gauge and connect them together.

Third, you can take one wire off the meter and connect it to the other one.

The needle on the meter should jiggle a little when you turn the key to the on position.

If the tractor has lights, then turn them on and the meter should point to the left of zero.

quote:Originally posted by marty22877

Perfect, thank you. I'm also assuming I should still use the fuse?

id="quote">
id="quote">ABSOLUTELY!John U

also the old owner bypassed the starter button and started it with just the key, when i pulled the old wiring harness out everything was a mess. I'm assuming I can just bypass that all together?

The starter buttons were used before the company used the starter solenoid and the three position key switch.

So, Here's what I think happened.

The PO had a problem with the old key switch and he put a new one on.

The new one was the incorrect one so he decided to bypass the starter button and proceeded to fry the wiring br trying to start the tractor with the key switch.

The correct switch for the tractor should be a "Normally closed switch". What that means is when you turn off the engine, you are closing the contacts in the switch, thus grounding the coil, and that's what interrupts the ignition, shutting down the engine.

The starting circuit must be rated of a high current to run the starter/generator to start the engine. The big button must be used. Either that, or upgrade to a starter solenoid and use the current key switch that you have to fire the solenoid and start the tractor.

there's definitely a solenoid there, in fact that's one of the pieces that i'm replacing. thanks for the heads up.