Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jumbulias

Simplicity 4040 no spark

jumbulias

Any onan guru.s out there. I have a 16hp ccka onan motor with no spark at the plugs. I have change points , condensor, plug wires , plugs. I have power to the coil. Coil tested fine. Wiring from coil to breaker box is good. Set points at .020 at TDC. Turns over fine, just no spark at plugs. The only thing I have not checked is the voltage regulator. It is behind the flywheel. Any help Appreciated

midnightpumpkin

Brett,

Lets take this one step at a time.

First off this ignition fires both plugs at the same time. That said, both plugs need to be grounded to see any spark. Screw one plug in and connect the wire, then connect the wire to the other plug and lay the plug on a grounded surface so you can see if you have spark.

Second, make sure you have 12volts on the positive side of the coil.

Third, if you have 12 volts on the positive side of the coil, take a jumper wire and touch the negative side of the coil to ground. You should have spark, if not, it would indicate a bad coil.

Let us know the results and I can help you troubleshoot further if need be.

Good Luck,

John U

Brettw

I am not sure of an Onan, but if it is a ground to kill type setup you may have a bad key switch? If it is a ground to kill, even if everything is perfect on the engine, but the key is telling it it is "off", you will not get any spark. If you can disconnect the tractor wiring from the engine and then check, that could give you some answers. The other question would be a bad oil sentry? Same thing.

midnightpumpkin
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

I am not sure of an Onan, but if it is a ground to kill type setup you may have a bad key switch? If it is a ground to kill, even if everything is perfect on the engine, but the key is telling it it is "off", you will not get any spark. If you can disconnect the tractor wiring from the engine and then check, that could give you some answers. The other question would be a bad oil sentry? Same thing.

id="quote">
id="quote">It's a battery ignition, with no oil sentry, so none of the above applies.John U

jumbulias

I have 12v at positive side of coil. I tried the jumper wire test on both plugs and still have no spark. I tested primary and secondary on coil and results says the coil is still good. I watched points pushrod and points are opening and closing.

midnightpumpkin

You may have a bad plug wire. It only takes one bad wire to mess up both plugs because of the way they fire.

The plug wires should be wire core, you can check them out with an ohm meter. Both should read approx the same from end to end. With both plug wires connected to the coil you should read double the resistance of a single wire, that would check the connection at the coil.

Keep at it, the solution is close at hand!

John U

jumbulias

It has been defeated!!!! Servece manual says to set points at tdc..Owners manual on the 4040 says to set points at 1/4 turn of flywheel past tdc. Owners manual wins!!! Thanks Guys for all your help!!!