Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mini tractor

chris87

So I have been letting my son who is 2 and a half drive my land lord around. (First gear at idle) and I remember seeing a Video on you tube of a little girl maybe five or so driving a mini tractor that was perfit size for a little kid and it had a small blade on the front. And I have been wanting one for my son but can't find the video and don't have a clue if if was something they made or what and if I rember right it had the look of a 50 or 60s era. So just looking for any info. Make model year ?? Any available. Thanks in advance.

You really think this is a good idea? and if an accident happens childrens services will use those videos as documentation of bad parenting, which it is. Please rethink putting a 2 year old on a tractor. I can't believe your wife would allow this. Most forums wont allow the posting of the bypassing of safety switch information, if I was the moderator I'd remove this one so as not to give the impression that the forum and it's membership believe in allowing 2 year olds to drive tractors, cars, or fly airplanes, sheesh

quote:You really think this is a good idea? and if an accident happens childrens services will use those videos as documentation of bad parenting, which it is. Please rethink putting a 2 year old on a tractor. I can't believe your wife would allow this. Most forums wont allow the posting of the bypassing of safety switch information, if I was the moderator I'd remove this one so as not to give the impression that the forum and it's membership believe in allowing 2 year olds to drive tractors, cars, or fly airplanes, sheeshid="quote">
id="quote">

Wow. A bit over the top maybe? I am reasonably certain Chris didn't hand him the keys and send him outside to play! I have had my 3-1/2 year old grandson on a Broadmoor, 1st gear, idle, with me right along side. In 1st at idle, it is a snails pace. And I was right there. There was no danger. To arbitrarily say someone is a bad parent, or find it unbelievable that a horrible wife would allow this, is simply ridiculous.

I think maybe it's a good thing you are not a moderator. A moderator needs to use some good basic judgement and common sense before making any rash decisions or statements.

Originally posted by Brettw
quote:
id="quote">My rash decisions and judgments are for the safety of a two year old, you apparently care more about justifying your decisions in the same area than you do about the welfare of a child, bad grandpa.

My rash decisions and judgments are for the safety of a two year old, you apparently care more about justifying your decisions in the same area than you do about the welfare of a child, bad grandpa.
id="quote">

I rest my case.

yes thank you bantam is what i was looking for.

okiegt,

i can guarentee that every time a kid is put in a car they are in a greater risk then when travling less then 2 mph in a open field and never out of my arms reach. he has a power wheels and can zigzag around obsticles and back up all by him self. the stock power wheels goes faster then the lawmower to. so thank you, i know how to let MY son explore this beautifull world and keep him safe. so you can go back to being the over protective parent. the people like you with the lack of good common sence is why this contry has so many stupid laws. thank you for doing your part in screwing up this great country for the responsible citizens.

quote:Originally posted by chris87

yes thank you bantam is what i was looking for.okiegt,i can guarentee that every time a kid is put in a car they are in a greater risk then when travling less then 2 mph in a open field and never out of my arms reach. he has a power wheels and can zigzag around obsticles and back up all by him self. the stock power wheels goes faster then the lawmower to. so thank you, i know how to let MY son explore this beautifull world and keep him safe. so you can go back to being the over protective parent. the people like you with the lack of good common sence is why this contry has so many stupid laws. thank you for doing your part in screwing up this great country for the responsible citizens.

id="quote">
id="quote">Chris, you are a 24 year old, I am 57 year old, my experience with life and death far exceeds your limited knowledge, you have been taken care of by other people for 90 percent of your short life. The time when you are able to school me on anything will be when I am long dead. Your post reveals your lack of concern, duly noted

OkieGT, I'm about your age, but I respectfully disagree with your position. It sounds that Chris is right there next to the machine and fully supervising his child. I may or may not agree whether that would be safe enough for my comfort level (depends on the individual child and their tendencies as much as anything else) but I respect another parent's right to make those decisions. I mind my own business in all but the most extreme situations. A recent example was a neighbor's ex, under a restraining order, showing up at her door and pushing his way in. There was no shouting, but she had told me of the restraining order for a reason. After a minutes agonizing what to do, I called the cops. She later thanked me, I had fortunately done the right thing. Other than things like that I keep my opinion to myself unless asked. For what its worth.... Dave

At least he didn't strap his car seat to a diesel puller and cheer them on for a full pull! LOL. Common sense and moderation, or is it natural selection? Different strokes for different folks. My guys went for tractor rides at about 2. Of course on my lap, with the deck facing wide open territory, 12th gear full throttle!:D Of course not...just a crawl on a straight away, but it sounded funny!:D

I have sat here for over an hour trying to decide if or how I would respond to this topic. Nobody ever likes to hear it but machinery safety is no joking matter. I work at an agricultural business and have numerous customers with missing fingers due to unexpected accidents. A couple weeks ago one of my friends was telling me how he was almost seriously injured on his B-10 and he has been operating these garden tractors for decades. I don't think its fair to compare the power wheels which is a lightweight vehicle designed for children against the 650 pound garden tractor with so many moving parts. Yes 1st gear is slow and ultimately its the parent's decision as to what they feel comfortable with their children operating.

quote:
id="quote">I say hand him the keys and send him over to my place to cut grass! |)I guess it's obvious I never had kid's!

It is my opinion that a toddler has no place on a tractor. They simply do not have the cognitive ability to act or react in a sensible manner...censored.gif happens in the blink of an eye, and an arms length is much too far.

Hell, a child that age really shouldnt be around a tractor. My son is nearly 2 and its more work watching him in the shop than it is to get something accomplished out there. I learned first hand just how dangerous common ordinary hazards are when my boy leaned against a hot muffler. You can be real sure dear old Dad isnt arguing with ANYONE who cautions the use of some common sense since that day. Im ashamed of myself for the scar he bears because he is simply too damn young to be around machines of any type, without my hand ON him. Shame on me....I would urge anyone to simply not take that chance.

Time will tell the tale...a child gains most his common sense or lack thereof, from his parents.

To the topic at hand, a Serf is a nice small machine, and I have one for my son. I hope he enjoys it, in 4-5 years when he is old enough to comprehend my instruction and example.

quote:Originally posted by chris87

yes thank you bantam is what i was looking for.okiegt,i can guarentee that every time a kid is put in a car they are in a greater risk then when travling less then 2 mph in a open field and never out of my arms reach. he has a power wheels and can zigzag around obsticles and back up all by him self. the stock power wheels goes faster then the lawmower to. so thank you, i know how to let MY son explore this beautifull world and keep him safe. so you can go back to being the over protective parent. the people like you with the lack of good common sence is why this contry has so many stupid laws. thank you for doing your part in screwing up this great country for the responsible citizens.

id="quote">
id="quote">Chris, I didn't post to argue with you or usurp your parenting rights, but first, you can NEVER guarantee ANYTHING. Second, at 2 mph a 650 lb tractor could inflict serious bodily harm upon a 30 lb child in seconds. Third, a power wheels machine weighs around 100 lbs, is plastic, and the MINIMUM age requirement is 24 months, that's 2 years old. Your posting that I have "no common sence" [sIC] is sad considering what your abdicating and approving for small children. I never screwed up this country, I served 6 years in the US Army Infantry and never drew a check from ANYONE in my life. I have a son 6 years older than you with a college degree in Construction Management and three grandchildren. Unfortunately the first born grandchild was born out of wedlock and was raised by a step father, and not my son. Without going into detail an accident happened that could have happened to anyone, and that 10 year old girl will live with her disability forever. Just step back and think about what I say, and I say it because I care about you, and your child, take this as constructive criticism, with no malice or ill will intended whatsoever. I was you once, I made some of the same mistakes you may have made and said some of the same things you have, we all have, but we learn by experience, I just wouldn't want ANYONE to have to learn that lesson by the death or serious injury to a child. Consider my advice or don't, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

quote:My son is nearly 2 and its more work watching him in the shop than it is to get something accomplished out there.id="quote">
id="quote">

I would agree. And in my opinion, as a child at one time, a father, and now a grandfather, a child on a tractor moving at the pace of a shuffle, at best, with me right next to him with my full attention, is nearly as safe as anything my grandson could be doing. He has more chance of being hurt riding his tricycle than on that tractor. In the shop? There are so many things that could be considerably more dangerous than sitting on a tractor moving at a snails pace. My grandson was never more than arms length away from me, with my complete and undivided attention. I could not say that with a child in the shop, unless, again, they had my undivided attention. Hard to do when trying to do anything amounting to work, in a shop environment. It all depends upon the adult. Anyone letting a child ride arbitrarily on a tractor is asking for a possible accident. Responsible attention to anything a child may be experiencing is the key. That is why I would never put some arrogant blanket statement out there, that a parent is being a bad parent by letting a child experience any one specific thing, without knowing the parameters.

There is risk and danger in many things in life. By responsibly introducing kids to some of these things in life, I do not see any issue. The key word is responsibly. Regardless of what some self righteous, narcissistic individual behind a keyboard, who has no real idea of the event may say, I believe that there are very safe and instructional ways to introduce kids of all ages to different things in life. It's called living and learning.

And, Josh, I was not speaking of your opinion on this.

quote:
id="quote">Everyone knows whose opinion you were speaking of. I stand by my statement, putting a two year old in harms way or trying to justify the same actions, is not the actions of a responsible parent or grandparent, that's not a blanket statement. The possibility of you tripping or having an accident while walking along a small child riding a tractor exist, accidents happen. The fact that you (BRETTW) think it's safe is ludicrous. Your right though about one thing, there is a time to introduce kids to lots of different things in life, but it isn't at 2 or 3. Wanna know what a blanket statement is; that a tractor is a safer place to be than a shop, and you covered it well enough so as not to offend Josh, but not well enough to be right. Come on Brett, your not making yourself look responsible by adding posts like that. Around here we have a saying, "Sometimes Mules outrun Racehorses". I'm done, didn't even show, ya'll be careful out there.

You cant really or rightfully deal with life with a "cookie cutter approach". Each kid is different. Each kid is raised in a different atmosphere. Everyone has different levels of capability, understanding and maturity that come about at different points in their lives.

Its up to the parent to gauge what a kid is ready for, and when, and under how much supervision. True there are parents out there that are complete morons, but by the same token there are just as many government services persons, and observing bystanders out there that are also equally complete morons.

Its when you get morons on the two extremes battling out that everyone loses, that's usually when you end up seeing blanket policies enacted that removes everyones rights in the namesake of safety.

The thing that works is when We as parents give our kids opportunities in a controlled environment taking into consideration the kids level of ability, maturity and responsibility. At the same time it works when outside observers help to raise questions that work to raise a parents awareness so that the parents can better give their kids such opportunities in that controlled environment. The society remains free in this manner.

My kids were not really ready for tractors at 2, but by 4 they were ready to operate small lawn tractors just driving around the yard supervised. By 5 they could be let mow grass supervised. By 6-7 they were ready to mow unsupervised. And yes, they had ear muff from the start. Set goals and work with the kids and they will meet and surpass those goals.

It is really cool to have your little guys help you in the shop! I used to have my youngest put a screwdriver in the whole of the frame under the guise of helping. Then I would say turn it a little and thank him...how would I have accomplished anything without his help? Of course it would have been done in 2 instead of 20 minutes!:D But, its not about how fast, its about spending time and passing on skill sets and building confidence. My now 7 year old loves to tinker. He still remembers the times we spend and continue to spend. I agree, to put a little guy on and go is crazy. If something is running then no way are little hands near. But, to give a ride at a slow pace, that's bonding time! To each his own. I know that in 20 years my little guy will have the same love of machinery and be fixing my stuff!:D You get what you put into it. Heck, I am thinking of starting tractor pulling in a year or two. What better way to spend the day then with your kids doing what you all love! Of course stock class, no way I would put my kids on a fire breathing 500hp, twin turbo'd, 12 speed, nitrous injected, 16000rpm, monster! Heck, I would not sit on it...or would I:D In the end, be safe, protect and use common sense, spend time with your kids, and enjoy each others company. They are only young once! And keep all hands inside the ride!:D

We'll this just spriled out of control and to think I got my answer on the first response. But my son has been around equipment since he was conceived my father in law owns a excavating business (my wife dose run some of the equmenment sometimes) and he has been in the equipment I think before he was one but all safety features were use and it was just a slow ride around the lot nothing more. When on the landlord if the mower deck happened to be on the belts came off. And he would only ride for a few mins didn't want risk over heating running around at idle. And I wouldn't let him do it by him self till he could easly turn the steering wheel all the way both ways. There was a lot more consideration put into my decision before I put him on it.

But any ways people are really proud of bantams 1200 to 1500 for one that needs work. Or that is what I have found so far

Did spiral, but all in all, a very good post. In the end, you are responsible to yourself. While the standards of the other guy may be harsh, they are his standards, and serve merely as advice. One caution to us older guys: Every time I think I know it all, and have experienced it all, I find out I don't know diddly.

I agree that this has been as worthwhile a post as I've read on this forum in some time, and I read everything. Thank you to all side for speaking your mind. "I may not agree with your opinion, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it." (or something like that):I Dave