Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

steering wheel

Aldon

I tried removing my steering wheel on my b112 with bad results.I used heat, PB Blaster, and a puller (smacked with a hammer) over a 2 week period.

Now I need a new steering wheel. I've checked e-bay, but what I'm seeing does not look like what I had. Has anyone bought a new steering wheel and if so was it an after market? If not, do you know the parts number for the steering wheel? Thanks

I posted to this thread about how to edit a post without making another post, was I wrong, and it was removed, or did it just not make it aboard the Starship Enterprise. In fact it was the second post today that got lost in a black hole????????

The wheels I found on ebay look like mine in that they are round and have three spokes. However, they look flat instead of conical. I think they were made for the full size Allis Chalmers instead of the b112.

Aldon,

I have the steering wheel you need. The only problem with it is that I had to saw the steering shaft in half to get it off of the tractor. That said you would still have to remove the stub of steering shaft to use it.

Another option, is to use a steering wheel from something like a mid 70's 7000 series that uses a through bolt to hold the wheel to the steering shaft.

PM me if you are interested in the wheel I have.

John U

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back, having been shipped off to training with no notice. The replacement wheel arrived and, of course, I discovered I had no key to install it with. 75 cents at the hardware store solved that problem. I made the bushing that goes between the dash and the steering shaft with the metal bushing from the old one and oogoo. That's a mixture of cornstarch and 100% silicone that lets you mold "rubber" parts. Along the way I replaced the ohmeter and cleaned up all the connections.

I proudly fired her up and was off to cut grass. The steering no longer rocked side to side and was no longer wearing a hole in the dash.

That's when I discovered she has no power. Physically that is, the electrical seems to be just fine. I was stopped in second gear trying to drive over a 5 inch mound of dirt that something in my yard keeps digging up. I'm off to search the forums for the reason why.

Thank you for the offer John U. I had an offer for a replacement the same day, and snatched it up.

Was the engine bogging or were you simply not getting power to the ground? It sounds like other worn out variables I have had. Just make sure the ride home is downhill, or you will need to tow her back if up a slope.

No power to the ground. The engine is running fine. The gears shift and speed is fine on level ground. No slack in the bgb when the belt is moved. It's only having trouble when a load is present, such as trying to drive over a small mound of dirt.

This is the same tractor that had no problem with this, and easily climbed slopes three months ago. Perhaps it is the variable speed pulley on the front of the tractor. Maybe the belt has stretched?