Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sweepster hitch mount

locknut

Picked up an old sweepster and trying to refurb it and hook it up to my Agco/Legacy.Need to know the mounting height at the saddles for proper operation.Basic info and can't find it anywhere.Where it's positioned in the following pic it's around 10" at the bottom of the saddles.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/locknut-1/sweeper/005_zpsfc83c356.jpg

Another issue I have is the unusual double sprocket drive.Looked everywhere and can't find another one like it.The bracket looks factory made but could be an owner mod for whatever reason.It's bent and the sprockets don't line up right.Might try to eliminate it and run the driveshaft direct to the lower drive sprocket.Some pics;

http://s498.photobucket.com/user/locknut-1/library/sweeper?sort=3&page=1

• 4 weeks later...

Been working my way through this old hulk.Got it almost finished and decided to put new gear oil in the two gearboxes.Popped the covers off and found a broken tooth on the top box.I may have to scrap the whole thing if the gear is not available or too expensive.The larger bevel gear that the broken gear drives is $959. OUCH!

001_zpsae0354d7.jpg

004_zps4cc2a82f.jpg

003_zpsb913a842.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

I cant see the pics on photobucket sm02

id="quote">
id="quote">Gee whiz Josh!My dinosaur PC has no problem bringing up the slides!Back to the problem at hand broken teeth a bad one(us seniors know all about that! LOL). I have a broken tooth on a spur gear in my '88 peerless transaxle and I priced that at $47. Some well equipped machine shops can replace the broken tooth, how it would hold up to the torque required to operate that monster brush is anyone's guess. Dat be a BIG mo bunch of bristles.:(!Wayne

Well,this stacked gearbox must be a rare bird.No used ones anywhere that I can find,no parts available to buy new,and the machine shop dude said a patch job on that gear would never stand the torque.My parts guy at the Kubota dealer called a guy in ohio that specializes in gear boxes and he did find three stacked units in his pile and every one had the same trashed gear as mine.

There's only one other option to salvage this $800 so-far-invested project and I know nothing about hydraulics.Any hydraulic gurus in the neighborhood? what size pump/motor do I need to run this?

quote:Originally posted by stevenj

could you mount a gearbox from a Sunstar mower deck to the hitch?

id="quote">
id="quote">Nope,won't work.Has to have 4:1 reduction(2000pto/540 broom input),plus a single right angle box won't work with the pivot using driveshafts.Been looking all over the web trying to find out what size pump/motor I need for this and so far empty handed.It's like a big secret.All I need is info on a complete system design so I can hit the freakin buy button and get this show on the road.I've already bought a cab for the tractor and going to pick it up this coming weekend.

• 3 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Edits will bring a post back up, same as a new reply.

id="quote">
id="quote">Josh,Love the new pic of the kids!Happy Holidays, Dave