Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

s/g woes

dav

the s/g belt started howling when I had 30 feet to go. I can live with the noise but not with the sparks that came next. shut down with 20 feet to go. drat!

rummaged thru the spares to find another s/g. between feeding the mosquitos and the 92 degrees in the shade (I was)Florida afternoon and dropping nuts in the leaves, it was not the most enjoyable repair session.

when I lifted out the bad s/g, I found the wire from the center contact on the regulator was broken off and has been for some time. once I find out where it should go, I will fix it.

but the tractor is up and running again. and seems to run better than it has for quite a while. that last 20 feet seemed like I was in overdrive.

the front bearing is trashed so I plan to replace both (I am not sure if the back bearing is a bronze sleeve or a needle bearing..yet). since it still started the motor I am figuring the windings are still good.

sorry, though I was in 'talking tractors'

as to the mechanical failure...I think it was an 'operator error'. don't know what the s/g came off of but it required several washers to mate up to the mounting bracket. and when it squealed the first time (it has done it on and off for about 2 years), I thought the belt was stretched and slipping so I tightened it up a bit. probably too tight, putting too much side load on the bearing. worst thing is I know better. a costly mistake.

If your commutator end cap has about a 3/4" protrusion, your SG has a bushing at that end and ball bearing at the pulley end. If it has a cup plug and flush with the end cap , both ends have ball bearings.