Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CHEETAH

SIMPLICITY LANDLORD 101/AC Big Ten Info Needed

CHEETAH
I am looking at a Simplicity Landlord 101 with a 10hp B&S motor. I believe its identical to the AC Big Ten, correct me if Im wrong. It has a 42 in. deck, grader/snowblade, and snowblower. All original in good condition mechanically and cosmetically. Any known problems to check out on this tractor? Is this a good reliable unit? What would be a good price for this tractor? What to watch for on it? Are parts for these easy to get? Thanks in advance. Feel free to email me directly.

JDSnyder
I had been a Wheel Horse fan all my life until I bought my Landlord 101, just like the one Dutch gives a link to on Ebay. They are an extremely well built tractor. If you can consider a piece of machinery to have a weak link after 35 years, it would be the engine and the bevel gear box. I bought mine for $900 with a 42" mower, 36" snowblower and two snow blades, a 42" and a 54" John Deere Blade. Both the engine and the bevel gear box on mine were fine, but it was not in as good condition cosmetically as the Ebay example. It was painted Wheel Horse red. It has now been restored, which is why I wanted it to begin with. Another thing to consider is shipping or transportation hassles and cost if you buy at a distance. It can easily cost $300 to $500 and up to transport tractor and attchements a distance if you can't pick them up yourself. I just paid $287 to have a Wheel Horse show plow shipped from Ohio to Colorado. That's what we tractor addicts sometimes do. I hope this info helps.

John_RI
Hi Cheetah, It would be a great machine. I have a Landlord 2012 - more or less a 1967 12 hp version of the 101 - that I got about 6 years ago for $ 350 with a 42" deck, snowblower, & tiller. Good luck, John(ri)

Kent
Check the bevel gear box (some call them cross drives) for "slop" and leaks. Check the transmission/rear end for cracks or leaks, around the area where the axle tubes go in the transmision and around the differential that sits out on one axle shaft. The two "weak points" of these old ones are the bevel gear box and the axle tubes... both can be fairly expensive to repair or have repaired.... Then there's the typical engine checks for smoke, noise, etc.