Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wont shut off

mech123

i got my landlord 10hp briggs up and running but engine wont turn off with keyswitch... i ohmed the switch that seems to be working...i removed the engine to take a peek at the wiring... i have the single wire coming of the connector running back to key switch... when i spin the engine my spark tester shows spark, i ground this wire and still have spark... what am i missing

Since you "ohmed" the switch, I assume that means when in off, the kill wire position of the switch goes to ground. Did you check the other end of the wire? It should also go to ground or there's an "open" somewhere along the wire path (broken wire internals, maybe not the insulation).

doesnt the ground happen thru the ground of condensor... i have the engine swinging from my rafters..im turning over , no plug in it, with my drill.. i touch the single wire, which would go back to keyswitch and spark keeps firing

do you have a mag or electric ignition?

If you have a mag the key switch (kill switch) needs to be grounded to the engine block. LOL Bob

quote:Originally posted by allis579

do you have a mag or electric ignition?If you have a mag the key switch (kill switch) needs to be grounded to the engine block. LOL Bob

id="quote">
id="quote">Ha Ha, Yeah.....dOddOdTake a jumper wire and connect it from the key switch to the engine,,,, say like a bolt, ot something.