Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

johnnym

weird transmission issue

johnnym

Hello All,

I have an older Simplicity 5212.5, not quite sure of the year but I think early 80's. It still has round headlights if that helps age it. The tractor runs fairly well so I'd like to fix it. At the end of the season last year, it decided that it didn't want to shift into gear anymore. Also, when I put it in free-wheeling mode, it will not roll. I read a number of posts regarding the need to bleed the hydrostatic transmission, and followed some of the suggestions that I though were relevant to my situation. The reservoir seemed low, so I added oil. There is still some oil in the cup...about 1/2 worth deep. Then I tried the suggestion of working the shift lever back and forth and spinning the wheels. Here's the thing, when I jacked it up and tried spinning the wheels, they do spin! The only thing is that when you spin one wheel forward, the other one spins backward?!? Never saw anything like this in over 40 years of working on my own vehicles, boats, lawn mowers, etc. Anybody ever run into this? Is it normal for this machine? The only thing I know of that is definitely bad is the voltage regulator. Normally I would assume this has nothing to do with the problem, but I'm throwing it out there anyway, just in case. Any help/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JohnnyM

Brettw

The trans is locked, and what you are experiencing is the differential doing its thing. When the transmission wont move, and you turn one wheel, the other will spin the opposite way. If it were posi, and you tried to spin the wheel with a locked transmission, you wouldn't be able to turn the wheel. It is normal for this to occur, one wheel spins opposite of the other, when the transmission will not allow itself to turn, or the axle to freewheel.

johnnym
quote:Originally posted by Brettw

The trans is locked, and what you are experiencing is the differential doing its thing. When the transmission wont move, and you turn one wheel, the other will spin the opposite way. If it were posi, and you tried to spin the wheel with a locked transmission, you wouldn't be able to turn the wheel. It is normal for this to occur, one wheel spins opposite of the other, when the transmission will not allow itself to turn, or the axle to freewheel.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks Brett... how do I get the transmission un-locked? Do you think it's seized up or something? It was always a little hard to get into gear, but always worked both forward and reverse. Wondering how it would ust stop working suddenly..Thanks,JohnnyM

johnnym

First of all, is the a gear or hydrostatic trans?

id="quote">
id="quote">It's a hydrostatic. The only thing I've done so far is top off the oil reservoir and try to work the gear shift back and forth while spinning the wheel.

fishnwiz

What type transmission freewheel mechanism do you have on your hydro? Is it the lever underneath the seat near the hydraulic resivour or the type with the lever on the left side of the tractor and behind the rear wheel?

If its the lever behind the rear wheel, look underneath the tractor on the front portion of the transmission and you will see a flat metal lever that is attached to and is operated by the lever behind the rear wheel. The flat metal lever on the front of the trans pivots back and forth over a pressure release valve that looks kind of like a door jam switch on a car.At times the plunger on this switch becomes stuck in the pushed inward position and you need to grasp the head of the plunger with a needle nose pliers and pull the plunger in and out a few times to be sure it is free. Spray a little PB blaster on the plunger when it is pulled outward position and make sure it is free to extend all the way out.these plungers become stuck in and at times get you in a non driveable mode position on some of the older hydros.

Best of luck!

id="size1">

Brettw

If it is a hydro, and if you are trying to work the control lever while spinning the wheel, I assume it is not running when you are doing this. A hydro is not going to function in any way if it is not running. It may be tight enough that it will offer enough resistance to have the wheels react to the differential when you are jacked up and spinning the wheels, but they hydro, in order for the hydro portion of the rear end to be tested, needs to have the tractor running.

johnnym

If it is a hydro, and if you are trying to work the control lever while spinning the wheel, I assume it is not running when you are doing this. A hydro is not going to function in any way if it is not running. It may be tight enough that it will offer enough resistance to have the wheels react to the differential when you are jacked up and spinning the wheels, but they hydro, in order for the hydro portion of the rear end to be tested, needs to have the tractor running.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for your input BrettW and Fishnwiz! Brett, yes I did have it running when I tried freeing the transmission. I actually tried it both ways, but figured that it needed to be running and brake disengaged for the clutch to work. The tranny disengage lever is the one in front next to the reservoir. I tried loosening the bolt that the lever hits against when in disengage mode, but didn't notice any plunger, so I'm assuming it's stuck inside. I will give a shot of PB and see if I can free it up this weekend. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for your help!