Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gstew

1986 5216 won't start

gstew

Hello to all,I have got a lot of good info from this forum thought I would join. I have 2 of these machines simplicity 5216. Having problems with Carb (I think Carb ) I pulled choke all the way out starting it hasn't started since turns over got spark plugs new and getting some gas, new gas line. Spark is there by test light but orange in color. The Carb on this looks like a bear to get off. One nut can't even get to. Looks like you have to pull manifold. Any thoughts on above. Any help would be appreciated.

Burntime

Here are some simple things to try. if it started with the old plugs but not the new, new plugs can be bad out of the box. Been there done that. You say its getting gas, I would look to spark. As to gas, pour some seafoam or berrymans down the carb or spray it in, turn it over a few times, repeat, repeat, repeat. Leave it in over night and try in the morning. I believe it has a briggs 16 in it. Check the wiring diagram for the kill circuit, if its ground to kill, maybe a bad ground. Its always something simple until we dig in and make it into something its not.:D

gstew

I tried checking spark with tester can't see it light up when bright out but towards dark I can see it has plently of spark both sides. Looked everywhere for bad ground can't find anything. I'll try sea foam have used in snowmobile and fourwheelers works. Any history taking these carb off this machine or working on these 5216h 16

Thanks

Burntime

I am a sovereign guy. I dont play with the smaller ones. Heres the thing, if you are SURE you are getting gas, then its spark. Any chance the flywheel key sheared and if it is good spark that timing could be off? Have you tried spraying starting fluid in the carb, or some in each cylinder? None of it is really difficult. Its a learning curve. The first time you will be leary, in no time it will be like putting on a pair of shoes!:D

gstew

Tried a little starter fluid no go don't think shear key but really don't know where to look for this.is this shear key how you set timing?

fishnwiz

If you pull the metal shroud off the top of the engine, you can look at the flywheel under the screen on top of the engine. If you look near the center of the flywheel you will see where the shaft of the crankshaft goes thru the flywheel. There will be a small square cutout in the flywheel where there will be a small square piece of metal called a key that holds the flywheel in position on the crankshaft. If the key is sheared, the flywheel will spin on the drive shaft or it may just bend the key just a little bit....in either case the position of the flywheel on the shaft will be "off" just a bit causing your timing to be a little late. Timing is the direct result of the position of the flywheel and its magnets that are mounted on a section of the flywheel itself.

gstew

I'll check it, seems like it would take a lot to break or bend this key but worth a check. Let you know thanks for the info

OkieGT
quote:Originally posted by gstew

I'll check it, seems like it would take a lot to break or bend this key but worth a check. Let you know thanks for the info

id="quote">
id="quote">Nope not at all, you can hit a rock or have a backfire and it will bend or break the key, it was designed that way