Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

starter generators

dav

I don't have a parts diagram of a starter generator. I also know little about them. I figured that since they do two jobs, there would be 2 pairs of windings inside-2 for starting and 2 for generating.

I just disassembled the dead s/g to get the bearing numbers and found only one pair of windings.

got to thinking about it. checked the tags on all the s/g's I have. all are delco Remy's. three of the five are 1101980. the other two are a 1101874 and a 1101689.

does anyone know what the differences are?

2 of the 980s are hooked to the rectangular regulators and have wires to all 3 terminals. the 3rd 980 (the dead s/g) was hooked to a square regulator (now the 689 is). of the 3 terminals, one is vacant and the middle one has a broken wire on it. but it starts. after a couple of weeks of usage, the battery will need to be charged. this might be the effect of the broken wire.

the motors are either B&S model 19 or B&S model 23D?243431 and the tractors are 1961 to 1966.

lastly, where would I find a number on the regulator?

i just went through troubleshooting a starter gen on a 74 738,there are videos on youtube about them.zippo has one in regards to wiring as well.

Sometimes their is a 4th terminal on the bottom side that would be easy to miss. Usually on a 4 terminal regulator, the only terminal not used would be "L". Bat, F, A are always used. I think they made some S/G's that were a few inches longer than others, other than that I dont know the difference between the models. Here is a good link that tells you all about them.

http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/starter-generator.htm

http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/2_pole_regulators.htm