Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

42" deck center spindle question

DMKNLD

The center splined arbor spindle shaft on my 42" mower deck sheared off at the bottom of the double pulley while mowing today - no rock hit or anything - maybe just 30 yrs of cumulative wear. I removed the blade and arbor housings OK, but wasn't sure how to get out the rest of the upper spindle shaft w/o buggering up the pulleys. I recall reading somewhere on this forum that the upper spindle shaft is keyed inside the pulley, and that driving it out can wreck the NLA double pulley? Do I need to use a bearing puller instead?

Also, several on-line stores have the replacement center shaft(PN 1679194SM) for around $65 +/-, but they also stock the combo shaft and bearing assembly (PN 1679195SM), which looks like it just has the pre-installed bearings on it, but at more than double the cost of buying the shaft and 2 replacement bearings separately. Is the added cost just the convenience of having the bearings pre-installed, or is the arbor housing included in the assembly?

I couldn't find any on-line parts diagrams to illustrate what is included in the assembly package, but I did I find AC_B-1Novice most excellent pictorial post on spindle repair, which will help me allot putting it back together once I get the right parts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the response Ray, as always. My mower deck mfg # label was painted over by a PO, but it looks like it is the 1690501 deck, which was OEM for my 1690723 7114H, and the replacement parts are definitely cheaper than for the 1691212 deck.

The top pulley is 5" diameter with the splined shaft. Can I drive the broken off shaft through the pulley or should I use a bearing puller on the top screw that is still attached to the shaft?

I would try driving it out through the pulley first.

You should be able to press it out from the top. Not sure the shaft portion without the splines would fit through the spline on the pulley. I doubt that it would.

Be careful. Those pulleys will collapse very easily in a press. You would almost need a split collar to fit around the pulley hub or pulley shaft at the bottom that is long enough that it rides against the bottom pulley but is narrower than the bottom pulley then set on to pieces of steel bar stock so that you only push on the internal splined shaft.