Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 , Backfire thru muffler

lt-scir

My cousin returned my B-1 to me with a blown head gasket which I replaced. Runs great at half throttle or lower. Any thing over half it spits ,sputters and backfires thru the muffler. HELP

Dean,

If this tractor has the original Briggs model 19 engine in it, this problem/symptom could be the start of the ignition coil failing. These coils are notorious for acting up this way (from OK at start up, then flat out dieing trying to rev up and weird performance problems in between). Just something to consider. By the way, there is no flywheel key used on the model 19 engine. There are usually plenty of aftermarket ones out there on "ePay" usually in the $25 range.

Tom (PK)

What Tom said. The flywheel key on the Magna-Matic ignition in a Model 19 is only to retain the ignition rotor, with its magnets, behind the flywheel on the crank. No need for a flywheel key but Briggs may very well have used the key on some of them.

I normally suggest a condenser first. Part no 291369. It is still available from Briggs but is around 15 bucks. It will fix a high percentage of Briggs ignitions but that percentage goes way down on the Magna-Matic.

Here is the link to the "Cheap Magna-matic coil fix" == http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/gas-engines/Cheap-Fix.aspx

The 19D or later 19xxxx aluminum engines were totally different engines ignition wise. Not to be confused with the Model 19.

Gary

Not to counter Gary's reference to the Magna-Matic coil issue/conversion link above, but these replacement coils are out there like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coil-replaces-Briggs-Stratton-No-290880-and-Wico-No-WX15034-/121352444948?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c412b5c14

and with none of hassles thereof. If the coil is the culprit, then to me it's a no-brainer.

Tom (PK)

Been busy haven't looked at it yet, But you guys are great with all the suggestions, THANKS A MILLION. I'll let you know the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to work on the B-1, Pulled theCarb, Some dirt inside, installed a new red gas filter, It had the white one???. Started it , adj the carb a little, now runs good, BUT I have a drop or two of gas dripping from the choke area. I guess I'll get a carb kit. Any other ideas? THANKS for all info.

Put on a inline shut of valve. When you are gonna park the tractor shut the inline shut of valve let her run for a minute or so and park her. Should solve the common drip problem. Has with mine.