Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mower deck

yukon

Thats a common complaint. Check to make sure the blade is on right...I know, I know, and that it is not sharpened to the point it is worn back bad. Also, make sure that the belt under the covers is tensioned. Sometimes the tensioner (spring) is baddly worn and thats the one that slips and does not spin well. I am sure someone will chime in with more.

Bob,

I think you are smoking something extra special in the pipe with this comment:

"I think out of the three blades, the one closest to the discharge turns in an opposite direction of the other two."

Case in point is the PN's for all 3 blades on the Sunstar are the same just like most/all Simplicity decks. ALso, I've never heard of a MFG doing something like having a spindle rotate opposite from the others...?

Tom (PK)

quote:Originally posted by powerking_one

Bob,I think you are smoking something extra special in the pipe with this comment:"I think out of the three blades, the one closest to the discharge turns in an opposite direction of the other two."Case in point is the PN's for all 3 blades on the Sunstar are the same just like most/all Simplicity decks. ALso, I've never heard of a MFG doing something like having a spindle rotate opposite from the others...?Tom (PK)

id="quote">
id="quote">1691331 is a 60 inch mower deck. It has two blades spinning right hand and one left hand . I'm not so sure your boat dropped you off at the right pier and it would be wise to check your visa.

Tom, 60" decks, mfg. nos. 16911339, 1691344 have two right hand rotation blades and one left hand rotation blade. I do not think Bob has anything in his pipe that is "extra special". Left hand blade (1 blade) is part number 1702366 and ((2 blades) part number 1702365.

Quote:

"

Tom, 60" decks, mfg. nos. 16911339, 1691344 have two right hand rotation blades and one left hand rotation blade. I do not think Bob has anything in his pipe that is "extra special". Left hand blade (1 blade) is part number 1702366 and ((2 blades) part number 1702365."

Well, I guess something new was learned in this thread, though this engineering design is totally bizzare IMHO and probably confusing for the owner about which blade goes where... I wonder if this mix of RH & LH rotation blades was ever used on other manufacturers' decks?

Tom(PK)

Not sure about the old wheel horse, but I'm pretty sure some of the old Craftsman with rear discharge turned one in each direction.

Not totally positive, but I was told by someone who owns one.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Not sure about the old wheel horse, but I'm pretty sure some of the old Craftsman with rear discharge turned one in each direction.Not totally positive, but I was told by someone who owns one.

id="quote">
id="quote">Dan, my 517 Regent 1693532 has a 40" inch mulching deck with counter rotating blades and they have to be timed at perpendicular angles and are driven with a $96 cog belt. I completely forgot about that this spring when I got done sharpening the blades. When I engaged the deck clutch, all my handywork went down the sewer. I didn't bend the blades but had a couple of healthy nicks to clean up.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

Bob never shares what he has in his pipe.}:)}:);)

id="quote">
id="quote">That's like pulling hens teeth as I quit smoking eleven years ago. :D:D:D

Hi all! I am a newcomer to this site but wanted to tell you I have a

Deutz Allis 1920 with a 60" deck and the blade closest to the discharge side does indeed turn the opposite direction of the other two.

OK Guys play nice now!

I have an ancient Sears rear discharge deck on a riding mower, the blades also have to be perpendicularly to avoid collision. Now and then the Tecumseh 90 degree bevel gear boxes would go "goofy", and the sparks do fly!

Wayne:D

I had a Sears with the counterotating blades. It used pot metal shear washers. If you broke one, then the blades would start hitting each other. I carried a couple with me when mowing, and the necessary wrench. It was easier to just change the shear washer on the spot than to run back to the garage every time I hit a rock or a piece of dirt or wood.

There are a ton of guys with uber knowledge on this site regarding tractors that I would never question and RBT is near the top of that list IMO.:D

I have one of each style of 60" decks for the Sunstar, one has all blades running the same direction and one has the left blade running the opposite direction of the other two. I feel the one with three blades spinning the same direction does a better job of mowing during light mowing but does not disperse the grass nearly as evenly in anything more than light cuttings. However the deck does not send the clippings forward which on a windy day will tend to cover the operator in grass clipping from the deck with one blade spinning the opposite direction so each deck has its good and bad points IMHO.

Dan