Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Problem setting up VAC on 2012 landlord

Cyclone

I just began setting up the VAC system and have run into some big problems.

I have the VAC with the engagement lever and it is driven off of the left side of the BGB.

1. The 5inch pulley I got to run on the BGB is too wide to fit on the shaft. I pushed the mid pto drive pulley on as far as I can without totally mid aligning the belt. Then I put on the vac drive pulley and it doesn't go on far enough for the set screw to contact any of the shaft. It's almost like the shaft is too short.

2. Then I go to put on the vac belt and it's way too long. Like 4" too long. I got the 70" belt just like I have found on the site but it's just not right.

Am I doing something wrong or have the wrong setup? Any help would be appreciated as I expected this to just drop on and work but it seams like either it have the wrong pulley ( mine has a collar with set screw and is 2.5 inches wide) or my BGB shaft is too short.

I don't have a VAC system and don't claim to be an expert. However regarding the shaft length of the BGB I don't believe there are different lengths. When I purchased my tiller and put the pulley on I too had your problem. I took the mid PTO pulley and turned it around so that the set screw was in towards the BGB. This gave me the clearance needed for the rear PTO pulley and set screw.

I have already turned the mid PTO drive pulley so that the collar is inboard. The collar is about 1/8" away from the BGB. It is in enough to slightly mis align the belt to the mid PTO pulley but the VAC drive pulley still will not slide into the shaft far enough for the set screw to engage the shaft.

Here are some pics

Pulley to PTO alignment and spacing How much of a mis alignment can the mid PTO handle?

PTO_zps4bf97e47.jpg

Pulley position on shaft. Just at the edge of the set screw engagement.

pulley_zpse351f5b5.jpg

I think your 2012 is similar to my B-110. If it's also a short wheelbase FDT, that could explain the belt length issue. I believe the "stock" length belt is for the long wheel base tractors.And it looks like your BGB cross shaft is shorter than the one on my B-110. It looks like there whould be room if the PTO pulley is reversed:

IMG_2083a.JPG

But the pic is of a replacement BGB so I don't know if the stock cross was shorter, like yours.My solution would be to drill and tap the end of the cross shaft and use a heavy washer and bolt to secure the pulley. On my Homelite, the front electric PTO is secured with a 3/8"x24 (fine thread) bolt. I believe fine thread is used because it's more vibration resistant. It's a 1" shaft; since the BGB cross shaft is smaller, you might want to use 5/16"x24. I'm sure RayS knows the proper size; hopefully he'll chime in.

IMG_2083a.JPG.8a4b7f4d77768d3bcc2536becba9ccb1.JPG

The pulley on your B110 looks a LOT thinner then the pulleys on my tractor.

The pulleys on my tractor have these large rolled edges. The picture on your tractor I do not see those rolled edges. If I didn't have the rolled edges I bet the pulleys would fit properly. Also the new pulley I got for the VAC drive is even wider than the pulley from the mid PTO.

Does anyone know the part numbers for the pulleys for the mid pto and VAC? I wonder if I have the right diameter pulley but the wrong width.

Anyone know of a place that sells 7/8 bore pulleys? I could not find any in TS.

I didn't notice the pulley thickness. I believe my pulley is the original. A good source of pulleys is Phoenix:http://shop.phoenix-mfg.com/The A/C part number for the B-110 PTO drive pulley is 2026084 which crosses to Simplicity #157121.PS - The tiller drive pulley on my Homelite T-12 is like yours:

IMG_8266a.JPG

It does have a larger width since the tiller belt is heavier than the deck drive belt. The Homelite tiller drive pulley is #164202.

IMG_8266a.JPG.38a9b51dd056fa309141f91753f42537.JPG

I have the same problem with my tiller pulley. I turn the outer pulley around too, putting the hub to the inside. That way both belts are only misaligned a little.

My opinion on the bolt in the end of the shaft idea.

As you tighten the bolt, the outer pulley is going to push against the inner, and with only the setscrew holding that, I'd bet the inner will slide in further, and the set screw will marr your shaft.

I ordered another pulley that looks to be thinner that the current one I have by 1/4". I will try flipping around the current pulley so that the set screw is on the inside as a test. I also picked up a 66" belt to see if that will be short enough to work with my 2012.

I will take more pics and update once I see what happens.

It's always a saga with these old tractors. If everything worked perfect then this forum would be pretty thin...

The hub of the pulley was flipped around when it was used on my B212. That way the pulley hub will be tight against the inner pulley and completely on the shaft. It is the correct pulley. I bought it new from a Simplicity dealer for my 36" tiller and vac system.

Thanks Ray,

The pulley I ordered would replace the mid PTO pulley not the VAC pulley.

One other question. Since I still haven't found the right belt size 66" was still too short (going to try a 62"), would it be better to use a 5/8" belt since the VAC pulley is so wide or will a 1/2" belt work just as well?

Thanks again!

I used a 1/2" wide belt for the vac and the 5/8" X 96" for the tiller. I think that my belt length for my vac setup is 70". So a 8" shorter belt should work fine. The 3 speed transmission side plates are 4" shorter than the variable speed and hydro transmissions. So you would need a belt that is 8" - 9" shorter than what they call for on the tractors with longer side plates.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

width is 1-1/4"

id="quote">
id="quote">That's quite narrow. Let me see what the pulley I ordered width is as it may also be as narrow. If not I might be hitting you up for that pulley!

Did some work last night and got the VAC system running on the tractor.

I found that a 62" x 1/2" belt is adequate for my wheelbase tractor. I could probably even go 61" but my tension spring is all rusted and stretched so we will see what it's like once the replacement spring get's here.

Vac unit cross shaft has a HUGE amount of endplay. There is even wear on the inside of the pulley. I will need to pull the pulley off and shim the backside. With the drive belt engaged the shaft tracks well but disengaged the shaft bounces back and forth so it needs to be corrected.

I have some more pics but may not get them uploaded today.

Just ordered my vac hoses!! I should be ready for the leaves this year!!

Got the hose from universal hose that has been linked from here multiple times.

Found out that the VAC unit cross shaft was missing a washer so I dug into my ever growing parts pile and found a suitable washer. Just about 1/32" of end play now.

Got the fresh tension spring installed and the 62" fits good but I may suggest a 61" for others as the tensioner is pretty close to the upper hitch bar that sticks out on that side. New tensioner spring makes all the difference.