Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C 917H belts?

tml1138

I'm in need of a new drive belt for my 48" mower, as well as the belt that connects the blade pulleys together on the mower deck itself. The drive belt I replaced last year and was a Gates, but I can't find my info on it. The belts don't have markings on the backsides either. I could not find any part numbers or sizes in my service manual either, just how to replace them. Anyone have the part numbers and/or sizes for these belts? Much appreciated, thanks!

I'll check when I get back home but I don't recall seeing any diagrams there. Maybe there is a small sticker under there that I'm forgetting about...you'd think I'd remember as I've been running this mower since I was a kid, and about 5 years ago I bought it from my dad and he bought it new.

quote:Originally posted by tml1138

I'm in need of a new drive belt for my 48" mower, as well as the belt that connects the blade pulleys together on the mower deck itself. The drive belt I replaced last year and was a Gates, but I can't find my info on it. The belts don't have markings on the backsides either. I could not find any part numbers or sizes in my service manual either, just how to replace them. Anyone have the part numbers and/or sizes for these belts? Much appreciated, thanks!

id="quote">
id="quote">Gates are good belts, but I don't think they are that good for mowers decks or PTOs, Tru-Blue Kevlar is the way to go and cheaper on ebay. I rest my case after one year of use, BTW, really check that idler pulley out, if it's periodically locking up, it can severely reduce belt life

TML1138

I brought home a 912 6 speed w/ 48 inch deck back in May.It came with the owners book that covers all the 900 series,and luckaly the original owner wrote in the cover what had been done to it over the years.

This is what he listed.

Drive belt 1713515

Deck belt 71657044

Also list this Alied Supply Gates Belt A-76

Hope this helps

Crewchief

TML1138

I've got a 48" deck in storage,if I get a chance tomorro,I'll look at it,I think the deck belt is still on it,see if it has a part # on it,and will get the deck I D # and post.Simp.still list alot of stuff.The guy I use just needs that I D # to look things up.

After some of you meantion the sticker under the hood, it came to me in a flash that the sticker was clear with black text so it doesn't really jump out at you. I've attached here for anyone else's use. Now to just cross reference those numbers to Gates or Tru-Blue.

20140820_175714.jpg[/url]

quote:Originally posted by OkieGT

Gates are good belts, but I don't think they are that good for mowers decks or PTOs, Tru-Blue Kevlar is the way to go and cheaper on ebay. I rest my case after one year of use, BTW, really check that idler pulley out, if it's periodically locking up, it can severely reduce belt life

id="quote">
id="quote">

I just replaced that pulley last year. That was the cause of my needing to replace the old belt with the Gates one. It locked up and broke the belt. The replacement Gates has a few deep cracks in it now. And the mower deck (arbor) drive belt has some too along with a chunk or two missing. I haven't replaced it at all yet.

quote:Originally posted by crewchief

TML1138 I've got a 48" deck in storage,if I get a chance tomorro,I'll look at it,I think the deck belt is still on it,see if it has a part # on it,and will get the deck I D # and post.Simp.still list alot of stuff.The guy I use just needs that I D # to look things up.

id="quote">
id="quote">Thanks for the info. And if that deck is the same or interchangable with mine, and in good shape, I'd be interested in it if you want to sell. Depending on where you're located of course too. I'm in NE Ohio.

Originally posted by tml1138
quote:
id="quote">At the time I'm planning on keeping the deck even though ,may never use it.B sides I'm in western N.C.Good luck on the belts. Crewchief

The 900/7100 series PTO to 48" deck is a 4L79. The deck belt (arbor drive) is a 4L86.

The PTO to 42" deck is 4L80, and the deck belt is a 4L82.

Also make sure your PTO idler pulley is in the correct tab for the mower deck and not the tab for the snowblower.