Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

defying the laws of gravity

spi

Ok guys, what have I missed?

I have a B10 and the fuel will not run down hill into the carburetor.

After setting, you can crank the battery flat and it wont pick up gas and start. I need to disconnect fuel line and lower it and sometimes shake it until the gas will run, then the engine will start once the gas is reconnected, and keep starting until it has set overnight.

I have replaced the valve in the tank, same thing. It had 1/4" line on it so I put 5/16" line on, same thing. Tried a new filter, same thing. Removed the filter, same thing.I replaced the gas cap and then enlarged the vent hole, same thing I even put the carburetor on a different engine, worked fine. I am considering putting a primer bulb on it, but would rather not.

What the heck am I missing?! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jim

Jim; is the filter screen on the fuel shutoff clogged? When you remove the fuel line at the add on filter try blowing back towards the tank to see if it is restricted....Dave

After replacing everything you have , sounds like the screen in tank is gummed up, I would remove tank and do a clean out, My three cents, Good luck.

Is the tank dirty with rust & dirt? Like others have said blow back through the hose into the tank & see if restricted then try starting. If it keeps happenening try removing the tank & wash out with hot water & blow dry. Add a little drygas when you put fresh fuel in. Mine would spit, sputter, stall & not start at random times especially when the tank got to half empty. When I blew back through the fuel hose it would run good for awhile then stall again. Cleaned the tank & ran fine.

My B-1 will stop when I running and will not start again. I found that if I remove the gas cap and blow into the tank it will start. It will then run for days before it happens again. Bob

....Unfortunately the tanks in these tractors are too low

and they don't feed well...Keep the tank full and make sure

there's no air in the lines (causes an airlock).....That's

why the tank needs to be blown on, pressure pushes the air

to and through the carb leaving the lines full of gas only,

which feeds better.....

Make sure the gas line goes in a constant-down direction. I have seen tractors with the gas line too long so it goes down and then back up to the carb. This always causes a problem. Keep the line as short as you can and running in a straight line as much as possible.

Steve

I had a similar issue with my A/C built Homelite; the gas tank is different from simplicity:

IMG_5724a.JPG

Whenever the tank was less than 1/2 full, and especially on a slope with the barb side of the tank uphill, the tractor would starve for fuel. I did many of the things you did; in the garage I'd get a nice fuel stream, but in use it would suddenly starve for fuel. Finally took the tank out for a detailed inspection. Turned out there was a small mass of "rubbery" material which almost floated. I believe it usually sat in the bottom of the small section of tank. But it would tend to bounce up and get sucked into the inlet of the outlet hose barb, especially on slopes. I have no idea what the material was or where it came from. Maybe you have a similar issue with some material settling over night and restricting the tank outlet.

IMG_5724a.JPG.4706492aa21ff630f4f286d46e9ec8b7.JPG

yeah, the screen is gone and it is gone on the valve I replaced it with figured that with a filter it wouldn't be a bother. I guess I will try rerouting the line again. If that doesn't do it perhaps I can rig us a vacuum fuel pump off of something else. Should be able to get some vacuum from the intake manifold. Evinrude snowmobiles had a stand alone vacuum pump and I would imagine other machines must of as well. Don't know for sure as I haven't looked,I just thought this up as I was typing this.

ta ta off to some research

Jim