Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-212 variable shift

ademero

Hi all, I recently picked up a B212 with hydraulic lift. Came with a blower, tiller and mower. I was having issues with the Variable drive. Intermittantly would not disengage, smoke the belt a bit and would have to shift out of gear while rolling to get it into neutral. Well had a look and found a big mess. The nut on the drive pulley was loose, causing everything to walk around and wear out the shift fork and key way on the shaft from the BGB. And there is 2 spring washers and a round plate that looks like it fits some how into the bearing and retainer. Is there supposed to be 2 pins or just one on the retainer?I have a B-1 with no engine and was thinking of swapping the rear end and bevel gear box into the B-212. Will the mower 2029959 still fit under the tractor? Thanks

fork.jpg

retainer.jpg

washers.jpg

b212.jpg

fork.jpg.4a818f3ad57ddcd425cb1c7512c7c302.jpg

retainer.jpg.83798469bb3cc54dc7ed2b693391e1e0.jpg

washers.jpg.12f8315397b6dc2a6e032b61f8e7ff30.jpg

b212.jpg.0a0a1a585c2c76e8694985ca9a573d2e.jpg

Richard,

Your mower deck will not fit if it is a 48". You would shorten the wheel base of the tractor. Your best bet is to eliminate the vari-drive by using "B" width pulleys and belt. Other members have done this. Possibly someone will add their expertise. Another option would be to find a parts tractor with a usable vari-drive.

Yet another option would be to go to a Sundstrand hydrostat from a 700/7000 series. There are a couple of good tech articles with lots of pictures available.

How do the three holes look in the outer pulley? Usually with that much wear and keyways worn out. The outer holes are egged shaped bad. The pins usually do not wear because they are hardened.

Thanks for all the replies!The 3 pins/holes are in great shape and the variable drive even worked. I wonder if I can try and weld/build up the worn areas and the key way slot on the shaft.Ack I was worried the mower wouldn't work if I shortened the tractor. Might have to try and switch over to B width pulleys and belts

pins1.jpg

pins2.jpg

pins1.jpg.b12a959e25ceb6e02b3893fa9a1dd5b2.jpg

pins2.jpg.76967a47015783d7a3b550e0c3ecdff1.jpg

I figured it only had one pin but the wear on the fork, there is a thin piece of metal left that when you push it in has a shape of a pin, kinda messed me up lol sm00

Any idea where that big washer and 2 small spring washers go? They were just dancing around on the shaft between the bearing retainer and the bgb housing. Cant see how it would attach to the bearing retainer or where it might go in the diagram

hey, im parting the transmission and stuff from a b112, would any parts from that fit? if so id be willing to work with you to take pictures and work out a price for whatever you need , just a thought.

Think i'm doing the rear end swap now. Was playing around with it, the bgb shaft slid to the left, now it wont engage the drive shaft from the engine after I slid it back. Probably chewed all the gears up from walking back and forth with the loose nut. This is going to be my main snow blowing/tilling unit, so not going to worry about the mower for now.

Just a question on the B-1 rear axle. It has side to side play in the axle in the main housing. I see there is a collar with set screws. Is that to stop it from moving?

Just as I suspected, I was looking at the diagram and seen that keyway inside the bgb. Pulled rear axle and cover on bgb. Gears are perfect in there. No chips/pieces missing. Keyway laying in bottom of housing.

Bah another snag, I have a B10 with a broken axle that ive been steal parts off of. Took the bgb shaft and installed in the other one. Went to install the shorter plates onto the B212 and the plates are hitting the bottom wrap around shroud.

Just an update. Reassembled the tractor with the factory shafts. Going to take the retainer and fork to work and try and weld up the worn pieces. Wish me luck

It (48" deck) will as long as he keeps the side plates that are in the B212. if he changes those with the B1 or B10 rearend. He will need to find a 42" deck to use.

I tried using the smaller plates off the B10, but the plates hit the frame in front of the bgb. I reassembled everything and found a old posting where a guy shimmed the variable drive pulleys making them solid and running it like that. I did the same thing, looks like its going to work. Have to finish assembling everything then the test drive