Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

marty22877

Gravel Driveways and Simplicity 2210

marty22877

Has anyone pulled a box rake to clean up a gravel driveway with any of our old tractors? I have a pretty big gravel driveway i'd like to clean up before everything freezes, and while rakes work good, tractors work better. I'm curious if it has enough weight/power to pull something like that.

MadMike

If you can find one, this is the perfect job for the Mid-Mount Grader Blade. I re-contour my driveway (500+ feet of gravel) several times per year, but especially right before winter. When the crown is nice and even, I tend to pick up a lot less gravel with the 36" blower.

Mike

marty22877

the old owner actually had a mid mount blade but i dont know what he did with it. and like you said, finding it...

rokon - do you use one? the only thing i was worried about was it picking up a bunch of gravel and then i'm sitting there spinning my wheels

rokon2813

I don't have one right now, but I have used one on my B12.

Since there is no down pressure other than the weight you put on the blade, there was no spinning. If too much builds up, the blade just rides over it.

My drive is not very long, so it worked good for me filling in potholes and low spots.

The mid mount grader blade I have used too. Since you can add weight to that by standing on it, you can make a tractor spin with those.

As long as you pay attention, either one will do a good job, with the mid mount being better at digging, not as good at carrying the gravel a long distance though. And the grader is harder to find than the box blade.

I have also graded with a front dirt plow. Those will but take a lot more finess and time.

GregB

I have used both on my Big Ten pictured below. Like the others have said, If you use to much down pressure, with your feet on a mid mounted, or lift arm on a rear box blade, you can spin the tires.

But after a few tries you learn how much foot pressure to use on the mid-blade. The Mid blade is also great because you can crown by putting more pressure on one side. The rear box is great (if is a box not just plain blade)for carrying loose fill to potholes.

Any blade will work, My order of use, Mid Mounted grader, Rear box blade, lastly snow blade.

GrincheyOne

I have a 400 foot+ gravel drive, every thing from 3" crushed stone to 1/2" MODIFIED. then add some short stretches of asphalt paving. all beat up by the water damage from upper properties. I have both a 42" snow/dozer blade, and a 46" spring trip blade. The 46 is my favorite since it has more angle settins, and can be canted, so I can "back drag" the stone. I am limited currently to use my '88 4212G (only runner as I work to get my '69 ll 2110 back running). The biggest issue with the 4212 is her weight, weight distribution, and "squirrel cage" differential (even with chains and 58# of wheel weights.

The 2110 weight is better distributed, and1-3/4 times greater than the

I would think The mid-mount grader along with wheel weights, and chains on a FDT would work ideally!dOd

BTW -

Chris Delapp (member) has one 4 sale

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=23606

Shipping by Fastenal would be about $50!

ALSO:

Just up rt73 (above Boyertown) on the left is a 5 acre salvage yard with all kinds of tractor and mower stuff. NB go with cash!

Welcome to the club, Neighbor!sm06

GrincheyOne
quote:Originally posted by GregB

I have used both on my Big Ten pictured below. Like the others have said, If you use to much down pressure, with your feet on a mid mounted, or lift arm on a rear box blade, you can spin the tires.But after a few tries you learn how much foot pressure to use on the mid-blade. The Mid blade is also great because you can crown by putting more pressure on one side. The rear box is great (if is a box not just plain blade)for carrying loose fill to potholes.Any blade will work, My order of use, Mid Mounted grader, Rear box blade, lastly snow blade.

id="quote">
id="quote">What He said! No experience w/ mid blade, or box blade. BUT I can sure do wheelies with the 46" trip blade, even with chains and wheel weights! Specially now with the 12HP repower! The other day She decided she could outdo an ATV, getting out of a muddy swale! dOdI think I would like to try a mid mount, but with a toothed wear plate, to stir up the packed areas of my 400 foot gravel cartway (drive). Actually the FDTs (all 800 lbs) have a very good weight distribution vs my 4212G. That 300+ lb transaxle helps!