Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Muffler Modifications for Sovereign-Updated

PhanDad

Jan 27,2016 Update:I was just informed by a member that the heat shield on this muffler alternative will interfere with the lights in a 7117. No solution at this time. As many of you know, I bought a Kohler muffler (Kohler #2406811) that's about 1/2 the price of a Simplicity OEM muffler for my Command install in my 2nd 75th Anniversary Sovereign. I finally finished the muffler modifications with the help of my neighbor. This is a pic of the muffler mounted before modification:

IMG_8443a.JPG

First order of business was to cut the heat shield mounting brackets off the Triad muffler. Since the Kohler muffler is a little narrower, I decided to modify the brackets instead of drilling almost overlapping holes in the heat shield. After I modified them, I used a spacer bar (not shown) to set the distance apart while the brackets were welded to the muffler.

IMG_8512a.JPG

Next the muffler outlet was bent straight down:

IMG_8513a.JPG

I didn't have the muffler on the tractor for the modification; overshot the left/right bend a little. I could re-bend it but I think I'll leave well enough alone.Some pics of the finished install (except for the clamp):

IMG_8510a.JPG

IMG_8511a.JPG

Edited by PhanDad
Removed 2nd set of pics at end of post

That looks real good from here. Will that Kohler Command fit right in the tractor? and can you use the same wire harness as the Triad? thanks, JH

John

The Command will bolt right in newer Sovereigns. You may have to drill some mounting holes in older ones. The Triad wiring harness can be used with some simple changes/addition.

For complete info, see the detailed post about the install:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/51265-kohler-triad-replacement-command/

Edited by PhanDad
Fixed Link

• 1 year later...

PhanDad --

Did you fabricate or purchase the exhaust outlet? If you purchased it do you have the part number and the name of the company you purchased it from?

Thanks,

--Papermaker

Sovereign Command exhaust pipe is Simplicity PN 1708761. Check availability at Jack's. I haven't purchased one recently.

CarlH --

Thanks, do you know if the Kohler exhaust outlet is the same diameter as the original muffler?

Thanks,

--Papermaker

John,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The Sovereign Command exhaust pipe, like the Sunstar Command exhaust pipe is a single piece of exhaust tubing bent at one end and swaged at the other end to fit the Simplicity muffler outlet. I don't know at the moment whether the outlet on the muffler PhanDad used is the same diameter as the Simplicity spec Command muffler. Incidently, both the Sunstar and the Sovereign Commands use the same muffler but different exhaust pipes so PhanDad's solution could also be used on a Sunstar.

Bill

I've printed 2 copies of your detailed post triad to command for my shop and refer to it often https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/51265-kohler-triad-replacement-command/

when working on my Sovereign that had been repowered but haphazardly wired. My mechanicing bucket list includes finding an eligible Sovereign roller and good used Command to complete my own repower.

Edited by PhanDad
fixed link

The exhaust connection on the Kohler muffler pictured above is the same diameter as the OEM Simplicity muffler; the "stock" exhaust pipe mates to it without any modification. As to the exhaust pipe, the part number listed above by Carl is the correct one. Apparently Simplicity now makes them from a precious metal; current Jack's price is $100.00! When I bought the one pictured, in June 2010, it was $22.35 which I considered expensive at the time. I didn't use it then since the Simplicity Command replacement muffler kit I used came with an exhaust pipe that is shorter than the original. Here's a pic of the Simplicity replacement muffler for the Command (part #1686656):

IMG_4810a.jpg

You can see the outlet is several inches lower that the original or Kohler muffler pictured above.

Edited by PhanDad
Removed 2nd pic at end of post

Thanks PhanDad for the update. The muffler is also made out of precious metal. Jack's price is $425!

--John

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Tarheel
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts