Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BLT

Tractor line getting closer..................

BLT

............to Port Washington. I copied a clip from a copy of my trade magazine was this article..........

Briggsmove.jpg

......................the Wauwatosa plant being two miles south of me and the old Port plant les then 40 miles north of me. Don't have any visions of the PW plant ever opening again as by today's standards, it is really obsolete.

Chris727

I should have taken pics but there are small Snapper Lawn tractors at wallyworld that are made by Husqvarna but with a Snapper style hood. Maybe Briggs will farm out all of the smaller models? For the last few years the Murray's at Wallyworld were rebadged MTD's. In Europe the Murray models were based on Simplicity models.

GLPointon

Who actually owns the PW plant? if Briggs, its a shame they cant modernize & use it for somthing. Thats ?/~@%#$ crazy. seems to be a good central location to build/ship from (like it was done for decades from there) At least there is some work coming back to the region

BLT

Two sides are guarded by hills and a street, abutting the side opposite the street is a Union Pacific RR track and in the depression is the employee parking and shipping receiving area. That pretty well limits it for expansion. Briggs could very well own the building yet and I have driven by the plant for sometime now.

Burntime

Walmart builds a new building a mile down the road and demolishes the old. Best buy near me bought out 4 big buildings housing offices and after demo, built a new best buy. It happens all over. Doesn't make sense, but the bean counters say so it must be so.sm00

MrSteele

I worked close to the McDonough plant a few years ago. Met some young Snapper execs in a beer store one afternoon and asked how Snapper got its name. They had no idea, and seemed a bit angry when I told them my version...They had a lawn mower made that no matter how slowly one released the clutch, the machine would snap the operator's neck backwards, hence, a Snapper!