Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weedcutter Arbor Pulley NLA Ideas?

bowhunt4life

I was doing some routine maintenance on my simplicity weedcutter when In noticed that the first pulley on the first belt arbor has started to break down.

part no. 124016

The pulley appears to be NLA so I am wondering if anyone has found a alternative pulley from a mower deck that might work?

It is PART J in the parts diagram below

Weedcutterbreakdown_zps448529ba.jpg

Good question Dan I am not sure. When I look up the part number I can't find any specs.

I think Wayne (GrinchyOne) may know and hopefully he will chime in.

I'll keep looking for that information too.

As I remember, since I have not been in the weed cutter arbor parts box, since last fall. That pulley WAS (notice the tense) a pressed steel pulley, I plan to replace it with a cast pulley from a 42" deck outer top pulley. same bore and arbor diameter (3/4").

I still have a lot to do on my "cutter", before re-assembly. Cutting/splitting firewood has stolen all my daylight hours.

Good luck, I'm done chiming (ding, ding).

Waynesm00

If Wayne is correct, and he probably is, there were some decks with the stamped tin or pressed steel pulleys on the arbors.

The numbers don't seem to match so there must be something slightly different, but since weed cutter blades pass and will not hit, I don't think a small difference in diameter would even matter (1/4 inch or so), other than blade may spin a bit faster or slower.

Now that I think about it, the stamped steel pulleys I have seen on the early decks did not have a set screw. That would probably be the difference. They were on the center spindle and held on by the nut.

Shouldn't take much work to drill and tap a hole.... or just use the cast pulley with the setscrew.

You may need to create a spacer to align the pulleys. In the pic above, if it is accurate, pulley J has a hub on one side, right side up on the left and upside down on the right.

The deck pulleys do not have hubs.

(DING, DONG) Chiming in once more, Just rummaged through the cutter spindle "peach basket", and this is what I found...

The original stamped steel 3-1/2" pulley [#124016] has a hub w/ setscrew. The bore is 3/4" keyed, and finishes off with a hex nut. The assembly has spacers to align the center of the pulley grove with that of the "K" pulley. I intend to substitute a cast pulley [#108245](no hub) but has a set screw in the "V" of the pulley. and is also keyed. This is from an outer spindle on a 990501 42" deck. It again is a 3-1/2" pulley w/ 3/4" bore. 3/4" spacers are available from ACE (in the HillMann) collection. these come in various lengths and can be cut down to suit the application.

Good Luck Chris, and have a GR8 Labor Day ALL!

Wayne:D

As a postscript, The cast pulley will certainly outlast a stamped steel one. I am sure that there is a reasonable amount of moisture that accumulates in the cutter deck housing, when mowing that tall grass and/or hay! So while you have all those carriage bolts out, might be a good idea to replace both stamped pulleys.

W dOd

I imagine, you are hinking of the "V-Groove driver" style. Seems to be the only style with a setscrew in the hub. Thanks for the reference Chris, I think I will go ahead with my plan to save the cost. I have several spare deck spindles to ravage!

Cheers,

Wayne